1752696 Members
5665 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 146 GB SAS Disk Drive

Michelle_68
Frequent Advisor

146 GB SAS Disk Drive

We are using an rx3600 Intanium Server which houses 8 146 GB SAS drives. One of our drives crashed and we were sent another drive. The problem is that they are not identical drives.
The original drive is model st9146802SS and the new one is a st9146803SS. Are these drives interchangeable? The HP model numbers and part numbers are totally different.

Thank you for your help!
4 REPLIES 4
wobbe
Respected Contributor

The new one is 6G the old 3G. Both are 10k but that's not really important.
My guess, the new one will work just fine at 3G so it should not be a problem using this disk.
What kind of hd controller do you use?
Are you using multipathing?
Michelle_68
Frequent Advisor

My biggest concern is that we have these drive in RAID configuration and that if I try to use this new drive with others that it will not work.
wobbe
Respected Contributor

Just replace the disk. At the moment you have a failed raid set that should be you primary concern. I'm pretty sure if the disk is not compatible the controller will notice this.
Clarete Riana
Valued Contributor

Even if the drives are not identical, if the new drive is supported by the controller you have, I believe it should work. If you want to check if the controller works ok with the new drive without disturbing the existing RAID, you could probably insert the drive in a empty slot and see if the controller recognizes the drive OK. After confirming, you could have the drive included in the RAID set and check for the status as Wobbe has already mentioned.