6169 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Access to the server via serial console cable

Jean Samarani
Frequent Advisor

Access to the server via serial console cable

Hello guys,

I need your help to figure out what's the problem when i try to connect my laptop via serial console cable to the rx2620 servers. I have tried both serial port A and B and with the 9200 bits and 19200 combinations but no luck.

Any idea ???

thanks a lot for your help.
8 REPLIES 8
Hakki Aydin Ucar
Honored Contributor

Do you have ILO card ?
if you have try ILO to connect.
Jean Samarani
Frequent Advisor

Could you please let me know how can i try to connect ?

what's the default IP the iLO ?

P Arumugavel
Respected Contributor

Hi,

See the below HP support document:
HP Integrity Server Entry Class - Configuring iLO MP LAN Using the ARP Ping Utility Via a PC:

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=c01639458

Refer the attachment too...

Rgds...

Jean Samarani
Frequent Advisor

I don't think the ARP method is possible because I am directly connected to the server via a crossover cable. Correct me If i am wrong.
Hakki Aydin Ucar
Honored Contributor

I do not think so ILO has a default IP, server has to be configured for IP during installation; of course if your server has ILO hardware.
http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/ITRC-remote-lights-out-mgmt-iLO/remotely-configure-initial-iLO-settings/m-p/3706435#M1750

Jean Samarani
Frequent Advisor

I have tried to plug a monitor and a keyboard.
I am getting the below message any idea???

"Console is on a Serial Device.
No further output will appear on this output device"
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

If your rx2620 is equipped with iLO, then the 9-pin serial ports A and B in the server's rear panel are both disabled. The serial console is accessible through the 25-pin iLO/MP serial port connector, located above the USB ports in the rear panel.

With the server, there should be a short "M Cable", with one 25-pin connector for the iLO end, and three separate 9-pin serial port connectors labeled "Console", "Remote" and "UPS" in the free end. Connect the M Cable to the iLO 25-pin port, and your laptop to the "Console" connector on the M Cable.

If you don't have the M cable, you could use a standard 9-to-25-pin serial adapter directly in the 25-pin iLO port to access the console serial port only.

The serial port parameters are: speed 9600 bps, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, no parity bit.

Please see chapter 6 in the rx2620 Installation Guide:

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=c01850557
MK

MK
S_Logan
HPE Pro

Hi Jean,

1) Configuring the iLO 2 MP LAN Using the RS-232 Serial Port :

The following procedure shows how to configure the iLO 2 MP LAN using the RS-232 serial port.

Emulation Software : Hyperterminal

1. Ensure the emulation software device is properly configured. The terminal emulation device runs software that interfaces with the server.
The software emulates console output as it would appear on an ASCII terminal screen and displays it on a console device screen.

2. To ensure the emulation software is correctly configured, verify the following:

a. Verify that the communication settings are configured as follows:
├в ┬в 8/none (parity)
├в ┬в 9600 baud
├в ┬в None (receive)
├в ┬в None (transmit)
b. Verify that the terminal type is configured appropriately. Supported terminal types are as follows:
├в ┬в hpterm
├в ┬в vt100
├в ┬в vt100+
├в ┬в vt-utf8
IMPORTANT: Do not use hpterm and vt100 terminal types at the same time.

There are many different emulation software applications. Consult the help section of your emulation software application for instructions on how to configure the software options.

3. Connect the cables.
a. Connect the DB-9 end of the RS-232 serial port female-to-female cable to the console RS-232 serial port (Serial A).
b. Connect the other end of the DB-9 female-to-female cable to the console device.

If System Using Dedicated Management Card- we have 25 Pin Serial Port availabe (Console/Remote/UPS) - We have to Use 25 pin DB to 3 X 9pin DB cables (W cable or M cable)

4. Start the emulation software on the console device.

5. Log in to the iLO 2 MP

HTH,

Surendar
I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]