New Discussion

Re: BL860c vs rx6600

SOLVED
Go to solution
Deborah Weatherspoon
Frequent Advisor

BL860c vs rx6600

Hi all,

We are planning a DR soon, we currently have a 7000 enclosure.  We are running HPUX 11.31 i64 on a BL860c, however, the DR center listed an integrity rx6600 as a substitute.

Do anyone know if we can exchange a BL860c for a rx6600?

7 REPLIES 7
Bob Blunt
Respected Contributor

Deborah, I think I'd be cautious about a direct interchange.  There are significant differences in the two machines and, in my opinion, how they are physically configured.  A blade system is not equivalent with a more standard system in many areas and, quite frankly, a "practice" DR is the best place to prove how well it they work.  You might be safer if you were working with virtual instances that were running as guest operating systems but much of that depends on your configuration.

I'll admit that I'm not very familiar with HP-UX and I'm not sure how much of my U*x memory about requiring kernel rebuilds to support different hardware platforms or peripherals is still pertinent.  There are only a few operating systems that will readily and easily allow you to move between dissimilar hardware platforms without ANY change.  While you are probably talking about similar processor chips in general there are likely vast differences in other supporting machine infrastructure that may be stumbling blocks.  Even the most adaptable O/S is going to see and discern differences between a Blade and a more SMP-ish monolithic system and their peripheral configuration.  I'd be prepared for surprises.

bob

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

IMHO the best practice would be to use the same hardware.

However, these 2 platforms are quite similar in terms of CPU, chipset, disk controller etc, so it should work, if the source driver image contains all needed drivers for the target machine. But you need to adjust network settings etc as wwell.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Deborah Weatherspoon
Frequent Advisor

Thanks guys for the infor.... Do you know how I can ignite the BL860c ?  it is on a MSL4048 tape unit using dataprotector.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Disable data protector, using the web frontend load a tape into a drive and do a make_tape_recovery.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

Deborah Weatherspoon
Frequent Advisor

Sorry, but could you please tell me how to get to the web frontend?   I can load a tape on the physical tape unit, however, there are no tape  unit in my ioscan.  I only see a virtual USB.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Are the server and library zoned together?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

Deborah Weatherspoon
Frequent Advisor

yes