4982 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Behavior of Smart Array on rx2660 is not clear

akkoshheckal
Occasional Contributor

Behavior of Smart Array on rx2660 is not clear

Hello All

I have server rx2660 with 6-HDDs installed with HP-UX 1i v2 and equipped with Smart Array (Version data N/A at the moment)

the configuration has to be made is:

(RAID 1+0) for 3 Logical Drives each contains the latest two Bays of HDDs

but the configuration made was:

(RAID 1+0) for 1 Logical Drive that contains all the 6 Bays of HDDS

What i don't understand is that:

1- What is the difference between both configurations ?

2- I need to test the configuration but for this i can't find where is the Main and the Standby HDDs, also i don't know when the total failure can occur and the system stop responding ?

Tests that i made:

- Tried to remove every HDD in different combinations and check if the system will crash .. then checking the output by the command [ saconfig /dev/cissX ] .. but from it i can't get the main or the standby HDDs

So please i need your help to find out a solution that allows me to understnad the above points 

Thanks in advance

Best Regards

1 REPLY 1
Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

Re: Behavior of Smart Array on rx2660 is not clear

Well in order to get from this:

(RAID 1+0) for 1 Logical Drive that contains all the 6 Bays of HDDS

to this:

(RAID 1+0) for 3 Logical Drives each contains the latest two Bays of HDDs

you will need to delete the existing logical volume and then create the three new ones.  This will require a restore of the OS image.  You would do this from the EFI shell using the offline utility, ORCA.

RAID 1, or mirroring, does not have a primary and secondary disk.  They are both written to and accessed as one drive.  

The saconfig command as you describe will show you what drives belong to each volume from an HP-UX prompt.  Use the sautil command to show more details about the volumes (its similar in output to the ADU report on ProLiant servers).

-Bob

----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!