Integrity Servers
1753816 Members
8483 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Buy Montvale (Dual Core Itanium) or Wait for Tukwila (Quad-Core)?

Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Buy Montvale (Dual Core Itanium) or Wait for Tukwila (Quad-Core)?

Anyone knows the latest "definite" roadmap for the Integrity Itanium?

WIll Tukwila be available this year or early next year?

And Montvale to Tukwila will not just be a simple socket level upgrade right? Everything will need to be replaced - 'cept perhaps HBAs?
Hakuna Matata.
3 REPLIES 3
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

I just spoke to HP about quad core availability last week. And when I suggested "some time in 09, right?" - all I heard were crickets. I think it's planned for 09, but I don't think anyone has enough info to say when in 09 to commit. The user conference in Feb in Dallas is coming up, and hopefully more will be told about upcoming product there. Anyone going to the HPUX user conference in Feb?
We are the people our parents warned us about --Jimmy Buffett
Wim Rombauts
Honored Contributor

I heard that Tukwila systems are planned for summer 2009. It could still be scheduled sooner, but don't count on it.

Since tukwila processors have a different socket and a different way of communicating with eachother and the surrounding hardware, current systems would not be made tukwila compatible, so a whole new brand of servers will be created for tukwila. Don't expect board-swap upgrades.

So, wait for tukwila ? As everywhere in the IT world : it depends.
If you wait for tukwila, then as they hit the market, wouldn't you wait for poulson 2 years later ? I think you have to buy now what you need now, not what you need within 2 years.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Wim: Don't expect board-swap upgrades.

Is this important or is forklift :-) swap good enough?