New Discussion юеВ

CDE not starting

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mario Caceres_1
Advisor

CDE not starting

Hi there experts!

Maybe this is an HPUX question but the thing is that I have an rx2600 server with HPUX 11.23 on it and I can't have the CDE started.

The desktop file is correct (I mean, the first line is desktop=CDE) but the CDE never starts...

Any suggestions guys?

Thanx in advance and best regards,

Mario.
13 REPLIES 13
AwadheshPandey
Honored Contributor

Re: CDE not starting

check ur /etc/rc.log
is CDE Server start OK?
where r u trying to get cde?

Awadhesh
It's kind of fun to do the impossible
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

Most problems that I have seen, deal with the name switch server not set properly, so that the server can resolve its own name. Use 'sam' to check the name switch service, making sure that you have an entry for your server in /etc/hosts and that /etc/hosts is in the one of the search options.
Mom 6
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

If NIS, then check resolv.conf
Mom 6
Zygmunt Krawczyk
Honored Contributor

Hi Mario,

CDE desktop needs running X-server. You can't start X-server on rx2600, you need external X-server, for example hp-ux workstation with local graphics, linux PC, Reflection-X software on Windows PC.

Regards,
Zygmunt
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

I have to disagree. I have run CDE on an rx2600 from the built-in VGA display. You need a monitor set to 1280x1024 resolution by default. You need the HP A7861C/065 keyboard/scroll mouse too. There is also an AB551A PCI graphics adapter.
Mom 6
Alan_152
Honored Contributor

You also need to make sure that the prefered output in the EFI is set to the internal VGA as primary output.
Mario Caceres_1
Advisor

Hi again,

just to clear things, I had the CDE running on boot before but after some "customer mingling" it does not any longer. The network settings are correct, resolv.conf is correct and output in EFI is set to VGA.

How can I check if the X-server is running?
How can I start the X-server?

I saw two Xserver files; one in /etc/dt/config and one in /usr/dt/config. They are exactly the same except that the line regarding the console is preceded by an "*" in the /usr/... file.

How does the Xserver really work?

Thank you very much in advance!

Mario.
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

It may be possible someone has disabled the startup of CDE on the local VGA .

You can check of the Xserver is started and running using
# ps -ef | grep X11

X server is at /usr/bin/X11/X and gets started by CDE login manager and the /etc/dt/config/Xserver file is configured.

Files in /usr/dt/config are installed with the product which one can copy to /etc/dt/config directory
and modify them for the required customization on the system.

The X server is used by the CDE login manager. The CDE login manager/server is a CDE server process. The login server would start automatically if configured when system boots. It can also start from the command line # /usr/dt/bin/dtlogin -deamon

You can enable the auto startup of the login server when system boots using
# /usr/dt/bin/dtconfig -e

Refer the following doc for getting an idea how CDE works.
http://docs.hp.com/en/B1171-90162/index.html
Mario Caceres_1
Advisor

Thank all for all the answers (I already assigned points ;o), specialy to Sameer!

Now another problem! Finally the CDE "tries" to start on console (gray screen with the X-mouse pointer) but it fails (with the message Resuming desktop login...Suspending desktop login...) and retries endlessly...

I can start CDE from an X-terminal (via XDMCP) but not on console...

Maybe it is some sort of authentication error?

Regards,

Mario.