1753465 Members
4383 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Cannot access MP Console

shasha_1
Super Advisor

Cannot access MP Console

I would like to access the MP Console because the Alert light in our Itanium rx7620 is blinking. I am using hyperterminal and I have connected a terminal connector (Part # 74-0495-01) to the COM1 port of my laptop and connected the same connector to the Console port in the M cable at the back of the server. I used an ordinary network cable but it's not working. I have tried different settings in hyperterminal including the supposedly default setting of 9600-N-1 and terminal type VT100. What other means can I use to access the MP console?
10 REPLIES 10
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

if you have two MP boards installed, you need to use the lower MP! Did you try this one?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
shasha_1
Super Advisor

We only have one and this was the same console that I was accessing 2 wks ago. Unfortunately, somebody removed the connector from the M cable on the servers (and nobody knows where it is now) so I used another connector, which I am not sure if is the same with the removed one. This connector has an rj-45 port and I connected the usual network cable to it but it still is not working.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

use a normal serial cable (ie Part Number 5182-4794) and connect the M cable console port to your COM port. I don't think that a RJ-45 connector (on both sides?) is working.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Utku Sertan Elgezen
Valued Contributor

A cross-over cable should work properly.
timmy b.
Honored Contributor

Donna,

If you have an old HP terminal, like a 700/92 or a 700/96 laying around, try using the cable from it. It should be a 24542G, and you will need to turn the cable around. The pinout for the console part of the W cable has transmit and receive on pins 2 and 3, so putting the 24542G cable on with the 25pin end in the server and the 9pin end into your pc will work. I've done this myself, in a temporary manner.

Once connected using hyperterminal, simply hit RETURN to get into the Login/Password sequence.

I hope this helps.

Good Luck - Tim
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand Binary, and those who don't.
shasha_1
Super Advisor

I've tried all you have suggested but none worked. As for the terminal, unfortunately, we don't have one.
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Donna,
you don't need VT terminal just windows HyperTerm. Standard setting are 9600-N-1.
Connection port is com, not RJ45.
You must use cross-over cable, not a modem cable. It's enough.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
shasha_1
Super Advisor

I am using Hyperterminal, as mentioned I am using a terminal connector (I don't know if that is what that connector is called) which is connected to the Console cable at the back of the server. At the back of the server, the M cable is attached and that is where I connect the said connector. This connector has an RJ45 port in which I have attached the cross cable (and previously a straight cable). On my laptop, I have a similar terminal connector attached to the COM port. I have tried all possible settings but none worked.
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

I am using Hyperterminal

Weel done

as mentioned I am using a terminal connector (I don't know if that is what that connector is called) which is connected to the Console cable at the back of the server. At the back of the server, the M cable is attached and that is where I connect the said connector. This connector has an RJ45 port in which I have attached the cross cable (and previously a straight cable).

It's wrong. RJ45 is a network port. If you connect serial cable with any kind of connector or adaptor you can't use console.

On my laptop, I have a similar terminal connector attached to the COM port. I have tried all possible settings but none worked.

On laptop connection is OK.

Donna, rx series can manage remote console via network but I understand you want to connect directly to rx7620.
I don't know rx7620, but on my rx2600 there is a 25 pin connector marked "console remote ups" where I plugged my console cable. On rear of my rx2600 there are also two 9 pin connectors marked "console serial A serial B" but the don't work in my system.
It's very important you use the right cable; you must use a serial cross-over, not a modem cable.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti