1752812 Members
6240 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Cannot login thru MP console to system

Ramprakash Surulirajan_1
Occasional Contributor

Cannot login thru MP console to system

I am unable to login thru MP console as well as thru a regular ssh session as root. We don't use other individual accounts to login then sudo su to root in our environment. Can someone give me details so I can login thru MP console. I am guessing some process running on OS is holding the console.
8 REPLIES 8
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

If root login via ssh is enabled and you have another host with trusted keys, you may still be able to run a single command on this host even if it is refusing to let you in interactively.

if this is the case, from the other trusted host, run this command:

ssh problem_hostname "ps -ef|grep console"

and find out the PID of /usr/sbin/getty the do the same command but grep for this PID to see if any process is attached to it.

Also, if you can tell the nature of your problem in a little more detail, it would be helpful. Like when you ssh to host, are you getting refused connection or just getting hung ? From console, do you see a login prompt ? What type/model server is this ?

MP Console, you need to login as Admin, then select the console, then login as root

Is that what you are doing?

Rgds...Geoff
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
HGN
Honored Contributor

Hi

You should be able to login as root on the console after you login to the MP
Normally the MP login name is Admin.

Once you login select the Console (CO) which will take you to the console of the server if it is a single partition server and there you can login as root.If someone is already on the console then to you need to do ^Ecf and then attach to the console.

If there is some process which is locking the console,you need to telnet and login to the server and then kill the process running on the console to get a login prompt.

Hope this helps

Rgds

HGN

Ramprakash Surulirajan_1
Occasional Contributor

The problem is I cannot telnet or ssh in since the root account is locked
Ramprakash Surulirajan_1
Occasional Contributor

Also the server is an Itanium server rx8620
Devender Khatana
Honored Contributor

Hi,
Even when root account is locked you should be able to login through root on console or through MP.

What is the error when you try to login though MP on console?

The root password can be reseted by booting the system in single user mode.

HTH,
Devender
Impossible itself mentions "I m possible"
VIKAS AGRAWAL
Frequent Advisor

Hi Ram ,

MP Console is for managemnet tasks only but still if you want to get the login prompt of your os then u have to first login to that perticular pertition then from then just give the command CO , u will get the console login prompt , but some times u are not able to login as it says press ^Ecf . That time just press this key combination & it will bumperd the user . now u can login to the system .

vikas
morganelan
Trusted Contributor

If you login through MP, it should look like this:

MP login: Admin
MP password:*********

(c)Copyright 2000 Hewlett-Packard Co., All Rights Reserved.

Welcome to
Mine's Management Processor

Utility Subsystem FW Revision Level: 15.16

MP MAIN MENU:

CO: Consoles
VFP: Virtual Front Panel
CM: Command Menu
CL: Console Logs
SL: Show Event Logs
FW: Firmware Update
HE: Help
X: Exit Connection