5638 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Cooling Unit Failure on HP RX6600

SOLVED
Go to solution

Cooling Unit Failure on HP RX6600

Hi All,

Could someone help anlysing theses logs for me. I've been having issue with the three rear FAN on RX6600. The logs are attached.

Thanks in advance.

Pierre
17 REPLIES 17
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

Re: Cooling Unit Failure on HP RX6600

hi,

could you check also an error messages in the syslog ???

grep EMS /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log

if you find some EMS message put the resmon output.

mikap

Hello

Kindly find attached the output of /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log

Regards.
cnb
Honored Contributor

Feb 2 13:15:19 ECM-HO-BACKUPGLOBUS EMS [3164]: ------ EMS Event Notification ------ Value: "MAJORWARNING (3)" for Resource: "/system/events/ia64_corehw/core_hw" (Threshold: >= " 3") Execute the following command to obtain event details: /opt/resmon/bin/resdata -R 207355921 -r /system/events/ia64_corehw/core_hw -n 207355906 -a
Feb 3 13:15:28 ECM-HO-BACKUPGLOBUS EMS [3164]: ------ EMS Event Notification ------ Value: "MAJORWARNING (3)" for Resource: "/system/events/ia64_corehw/core_hw" (Threshold: >= " 3") Execute the following command to obtain event details: /opt/resmon/bin/resdata -R 207355921 -r /system/events/ia64_corehw/core_hw -n 207355907 -a

You'll need to post the /var/opt/resmon/log/event.log file or perform the above commands in order to see the issue(s).

You can also look in the MP logs.

Rgds,

cnb
Honored Contributor

Power Supply 0 Predictive Failure asserted
Power Supply 1 Normal

Fans State
-----------------------------------------------------------
System Fan 1 Normal
System Fan 2 Normal
System Fan 3 Normal
System Fan 4 Failure
System Fan 5 Failure
System Fan 6 Failure

PS0 shows power issues when the fans are failed. Might want to replace PS0.

Service Guide:
http://www.docs.hp.com/en/AB464-9003C-ed7/AB464-9003C-ed7.pdf

Rgds,

cnb
Honored Contributor

Hello cnd,

The PS0 is working, if you check very well the logs you will find that. But the real concern is the cooling unit. I wonder how three cooling FANs can failed at the same time. Could someone discover in the logs what can cause the failure.

Thanks in advance.
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

Hi Pierre,

if i would heva some HW trouble with the server, and it would a production server, i worul open a HW call in HP, to solve this issue immediatelly.

mikap
cnb
Honored Contributor

"The PS0 is working, if you check very well the logs you will find that. But the real concern is the cooling unit. I wonder how three cooling FANs can failed at the same time. Could someone discover in the logs what can cause the failure. "

Pierre,

Sorry, but I disagree and this Power Supply is not "working" as you stated:

*Power Supply 0 Predictive Failure asserted*

If is was "working" and checking the "logs very well" the logs would never show this warning, ever.

The multiple fan failure could be several FRUs:

"Fans are controlled by a Hex Fan Controller (HFC) Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) chip located on the Common I/O Backplane (CIOB) FRU. The baseboard Management Controller (BMC) chip located on the Unified Core I/O board (UCIO) FRU monitors ambient air temperatures, chip temperatures, server configuration, and fan operation or failure from the HFC. The BMC then sends commands to the HFC to increase/decrease fan speed, etc. Air is drawn through the front of the chassis and pushed out the rear by the cooling fans. ****A failure of multiple fans can be caused by the HFC on the CIOB or the UCIO.****"

Call your Hardware Service Provider and get PS0 replaced. It is INTERMITTENTLY failing with a predictive failure. Replace the CIOB or the UCIO.

Your PDC is old and needs updating. Power recovery and FAN issues were resolved in later versions.

"Hardware Revision S0 Firmware Revision F.02.17 Oct 5 2007,16:53:04"

http://www13.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/docDisplay.do?docLocale=en&docId=emr_na-c02018376

Of course I know nothing and you're asking for help determining the cause of the system failures...

http://www13.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/docDisplay.do?docLocale=en&docId=emr_na-c01331437

Best Regards,

cnb
http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

Hello All,

I have just replaced the 3 FANs on the server, but the status is still the same. nothing has changed. Please advise.

Regards.