Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disabling serial consoles on rx 2600 servers

T. Scholes T. Doherty
Occasional Visitor

Disabling serial consoles on rx 2600 servers

Hi

We have an rx2600 runing RH EL AS 2.1, and wish to use some of the serial ports (A, B) and thos on the MP board to drive modems etc. under Linux..

One problem we've discovered is that the system will loop on boot at the booot menu if the modem is attached, presumably because it's echoing stuff sent to serial consoles?

We'd like to disable these serial consoles inf the firmware, and I presume I have to do this though the Boot maintenance stuff?

Or is it possible to do it from Linux i.e. any tools to modify the Boot/EFI whatevery from the Linux O/S?

Can anybody pointme to any accurate documentation on this stuff?

TIA
3 REPLIES 3
Marco Hogeveen
Honored Contributor

Re: Disabling serial consoles on rx 2600 servers

HI,

Unfortunately you cannot use the serial ports on the MP from the OS to connect a modem. The MP is a little management computer in your computer and it's interfaces cannot be used from the OS.

Marco
T. Scholes T. Doherty
Occasional Visitor

Marco

Thanks for the reply, but I'm reasonably sure that's not true, at least under Linux..

See the FAQ in the attached document for details..

I'm not sure about the ttyS4/ttyS5 bit, since there simply don't appear to be that many serial ports on our MP board (perhaps someone can elighten me?) but we're using ttyS2 (ups port on MP board) to communicate with the UPS just fine under Linux, and have a modem attached to ttyS3 (console port on MP board) as well as having tried a modem on ttyS0/ttys1 and all works fine.

What I'm looking for information on is how to configure the EFI (or whatever it's called) so that it doesn't consider ttyS0 (and/or possibly ttyS3) to be serial consoles, so that on system boot it won't throw a lost of text at the modems, which they echo causing the system to not boot.

Preferably from Linux if some tools exist to do this...

TIA
Scot Bean
Honored Contributor

In the EFI main menu you can configure which serial/graphics ports are used for the console.

Look under "Boot option..."

Then "Select Active Console.." items.