Integrity Servers
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drive Available to Read DDS1 4mm on Itanium rx3600 OpenVMS Server?

Michelle_68
Frequent Advisor

Drive Available to Read DDS1 4mm on Itanium rx3600 OpenVMS Server?

We have migrated over to a an Itanium rx3600 OpenVMS Server running Ver 8.3? Our question is, is there a 4mm tape drive that we can connect to this server which will read dds1, dds2, dds3, and 4mm tapes and possibly write to them too? We have tapes already created on the old media (dds1) that we can not read on the new 4mm drives. And I know I am asking a alot....we would like to create them on this system too in order to be read on older systems.
2 REPLIES 2
mits
Respected Contributor

Re: Drive Available to Read DDS1 4mm on Itanium rx3600 OpenVMS Server?

There is no DDS drive compatible with the old format, DDS-1.

http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11883_div/11883_div.html

Backwards Compatibility HP DAT tape drives are backward read-write compatible with two previous generations, thus:

DAT 160 also reads and writes DAT 72 and DDS-4
DAT 72 also reads and writes DDS-4 and DDS-3
DAT 40 also reads and writes DDS-3 and DDS-2

The compatibility table is available.

http://www.hp.com/products1/storage/compatibility/tapebackup/index.html
Richard Jordan
Regular Advisor

Re: Drive Available to Read DDS1 4mm on Itanium rx3600 OpenVMS Server?

I tried hooking up a TLZ07 DDS-2 DAT drive to our RX2620 server external SCSI port. The system would recognize it but VMS (V8.2-1) would not work with it; fatal controller errors were generated. It could have been a cable or adapter issue (the TLZ07 is a fast-narrow-single ended type, and I only had one cable to try), or the embedded controller can't step down that far.

If you have access to an older VMS system (Alpha or VAX) odds are a TLZ04, TLZ06, or TLZ07 tape drive should work, and I've used my TLZ07 attached to an Alpha PWS 600au to read old DDS-1 60M tapes. There were a number that had started to fail (archive tapes kept in an office safe for 12+ years) but it did a creditable job.