Integrity Servers
1747988 Members
5023 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EFI (Extremely Frusterating Interface)

Robert Kirchgesler_1
Occasional Advisor

EFI (Extremely Frusterating Interface)

Hello all, I am trying to point an rx4640 at an ignite server but the good old fashioned "boot lan install" has been lost to the EFI. One of our workarounds has been to boot to an internal DVD / CD which then brings up the familiar "Install HPUX" screen wherein one can then point to a server and configure using "advanced" mode. Unfortunately, the ignite server sees the client but complains about waiting for user to initiate install so I never make it to the advanced configuration screens on the ignite server. Has anyone found the easiest way to point rx platforms at an ignite server through the EFI "add boot options"?
7 REPLIES 7
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Yes the EFI is bit different u can say. I have not worked more on it but. Yes there is a option to do the same. I dont have unit with me i can suggest you can type command at you efi prompat stating "help boot"
It will give you list of commands to proceed with.

Where as i am not familir with HP UX also.
Under ADD Boot option u can add a pointer that will reflect at serevr post to select.

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Randy Caswell
Occasional Advisor

I just recently configured our Ignite Server to accomidate Itanium servers and the EFI... following is what I did to make it work.

Ignite Server: make sure tftp and bootp is setup to run from /etc/inetd.conf.

Itanium server (ignite client)
Created the network boot entries into the EFI Boot Manager

At the EFI boot Manager Menu Select ├в Boot Option Maintenance Menu├в
At the EFI Boot Maintenance Manager menu select ├в Add a boot option├в
Select the appropriate lan interface and press enter.

Ignite server :
Created the file /etc/dhcpdeny with no entries├в ┬ж.

Made the following changes to /etc/bootptab

bf=/opt/ignite/boot/nbp.efi:\
hn:\
vm=rfc1048:\
ht=ether:\
ha=\
example : ha=0000306e4c2596 :\
ip=:\
sm=255.255.248.0
Robert Kirchgesler_1
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for your input - I did know about the option to edit the bootptab on the server but then that requires it every time a system is set up - but good workaround for those who have access to the Ignite server and bootptab files.

Bob
Randy Caswell
Occasional Advisor

From what I understand thats the only way for an Itanium system to work with an Ignite server. Good luck, if you find anything new let keep us posted. This is the only info I have found on the subject : Doc ID KBNL00000383

Randy
Robert Kirchgesler_1
Occasional Advisor

FYI - I have tried to point to the Ignite server by loading the DVD and then pointing to it in EFI. The initial "Install HPUX" menu is then available and one can choose "advanced install" and supply networking info but I cannot get it to actually contact the Ignite server. - If you install a core O/S from the DVD to get it up on the network, you can then go to the ignite server and add the system as a "new client" which will then allow you to push a preconfigured image to the box.
Thanks again for your reply,
Bob Kirchgesler
Randy Caswell
Occasional Advisor

FYI, thats the differance between a pull and push...a pull requires bootp to be set up.. a push does not.
Robert Kirchgesler_1
Occasional Advisor

I knew that - Thanks again
Bob