1753878 Members
7327 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EFI backup

Howard_24
Advisor

EFI backup

Is there a way to backup the EFI on an rx4620 and a rx2620?

Also is there an easy way to make an image copy of a windows 2003 system from local disks? The disks are mirrored and I can't use a SAN copy as they are in a windows cluster and we only have two hba's, that's the reason we are not booting from SAN. For some reason Microsoft doesn't want the data disks and OS disk on the same path.

Thanks,

Howard
2 REPLIES 2
Andrew Pywell
Advisor

Hello Howard,

If you mean to backup the EFI system partition then no. What you would need to do is manually create another partiton on your second drive and copy the EFI system partiton contents over (in particular the Windows boot loader file etc).

If you mean to backup your EFI NVRAM contents (and I don't think you do but I'll mention it anyway) then there is an NVRAM backup utility on the rx4640 (etc) download site. For Windows in particular, it's important to have a backup copy of your Windows EFI boot menu entry as if you loose NVRAM you loose the ability to boot. Reply if you want more info on this.

Regarding boot from SAN, I presume you mean clustering as you mention boot and data. Actually, having boot and data (cluster shared storage) on the same path (fabric) is supported but you MUST use the Storport miniport driver as well a registry key added. Have a look at the Boot from SAN document on the SmarSetup CD for typical fabric topologies including clustering and comparision between topologies using the SCSIport and Storport miniport drivers. Frankly, you should use Storport; it's now quite mature and is a superior solution for SAN attachment.

And lastly, Microsoft does provide a KB on setting up a software mirror (for IA64) but frankly, it a very long process and is a right pain if you later need to boot from your alternative drive. I strongly suggest you get a SmartArray for boot, which is extremely reliable. If you can't tolerate the SPOF for the SmartArray, then consider Boot from SAN and the doc mentioned above is a good place to start.

Andrew.
Howard_24
Advisor

Andrew,

Thanks for the quick reply. They have a smartarray installed and they presently have two mirrored 146gig drives. I will get a copy of the windows utility that you mentioned for the EFI NVRAM contents.

The customer has requested the ability to image the disk in case of data corruption. The company that set up the box followed the HP storageWorks doc and because they only have two hba's they did local boot of the OS. If they were booted from the SAN I could use the EVA's business copy to make an image copy. I will look into the KB doc that you mentioned.

Thanks,

Howard