4184 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

EFI shell cdrom format

Nissireos Vangelis
Occasional Contributor

EFI shell cdrom format

Hi all,

Is there a specific format that I should use when burning a CD in order to be able to see it correctly (as a readable filesystem fsx:) in EFI shell? If there is not, is there any special procedure to follow from EFI shell in order to be able to see it as a file system (except reconnect -r or map -b/-r)?

Regards,
2 REPLIES 2
H.Becker
Honored Contributor

Re: EFI shell cdrom format

I don't know what you want to do, but I'm sure you know that for burning a bootable DVD you are better off burning a copy of a known bootable DVD (or such an image file).

What you seem to need is an EFI type of partition on it. That's something which is recognized as an fsx. You can set up a GPT or an MBR type of partition table. Then you can create an EFI partition, either with ID ee or ef. The partition should have a FAT file system.

I installed Debian Lenny that way by using a spare disk with an ef partition onto which I dumped the netinst image. The partition showed as an fsx. I changed into it and there were the EFI directory, etc. to boot the network installation.
Nissireos Vangelis
Occasional Contributor

Re: EFI shell cdrom format

First of all thanks for the reply,

Maybe i wasn't so clear. Let's say I want to make a CD (containing tools or a tar backup) and I want to be able to see it as an fsx: in EFI shell for disaster recovery purposes. Should I burn that CD with a specific format (ISO9660, ISO9660+Joliet etc) in Nero for example?

Regards,