Integrity Servers
1753856 Members
7313 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion

ERROR: Base-VxFS-61 must be installed on Intel Itanium 9500 series based platforms or later

gbudny
Advisor

ERROR: Base-VxFS-61 must be installed on Intel Itanium 9500 series based platforms or later

Hi

I have rx4640 without the operating system on the hard drive, and I bought HP-UX BOE to install it. Unfortunately, I can't de-select or choose other versions of VxFS-61 because are not the part of this version of HP-UX.

Can you help me?

8 REPLIES 8
Hawkeye
HPE Pro

Re: ERROR: Base-VxFS-61 must be installed on Intel Itanium 9500 series based platforms or later

It is not possible to install the latest version of HP-UX11iv3 (1805) directly from the DVD on pre-i4 Integrity servers.

This release includes Vertias v6.1 by default. This is not supported by HPE on pre-i4 (Itanium 9500 series) servers.

If you have a HPE Software Support Updates contract, then you can obtain the HP-UX11iv3 (1705) release. This will install OK, as it includes Veritas v5.x on the DVD. You can then update-ux to HP-UX11iv3 (1805) from the DVD if you wish.

Otherwise, you will need to create a custom HP-UX11iv3 1805 depot. This involves removing Veritas v6.1 and including Veritas v5.1 in the custom depot, hence enabling boot of your server from Ignite-UX.

Please download the HP-UX11iv3 2018 release documentation from the HPE Support Centre website for full details on the above.

I work for HPE
A quick resolution to technical issues for your HPE products is just a click away HPE Support Center Knowledge-base
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

gbudny
Advisor

Re: ERROR: Base-VxFS-61 must be installed on Intel Itanium 9500 series based platforms or later

Hi

Thank you for the answer

I read the documentation and I have doubts if it could be done. Do I need the software contract to download these files?

- Quality Pack Depot

VxVM 5.1SP1 patches:

- PHKL_44775 VRTS 5.1 SP1RP3P10 VRTSvxvm Kernel Patch

- PHCO_44774 VRTS 5.1 SP1RP3P10 VRTSvxvm Command Patch

Do I need a second computer with HP-UX to use the custom depot in order to install HP-UX from it?

Hawkeye
HPE Pro

This certainly can be done as it is mandatory for users with Pre-i4 servers that need to cold-install HP-UX11iv3 1805 or later.

It is not a trivial task.

Access to patches on the HPESC does require a valid HPE Software Support contract.

You do need a second computer already running HP-UX on which to create the custom depot and configure Ignite-UX.

Alternately, if you can obtain a copy of the HP-UX11iv3 1705 DVD then you can cold-install directly from this and the update-ux to 1805 if you wish to.

I work for HPE
A quick resolution to technical issues for your HPE products is just a click away HPE Support Center Knowledge-base

Accept or Kudo

gbudny
Advisor

Hi

Thank you for the answer. 

Unfotunately, I don't have the HPE Software Support contract and the second machine with HP-.UX. This ducument is interesting, but it isn't helpful in my situation:

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-a00058704en_us&docLocale=en_US

I received the answer from the reseller that they only have access to the current version of HP-UX, and now, I don't even know if HPE ot the other company could sell me HP-UX11iv3 BOE (1705) for like £212..    

Hawkeye
HPE Pro

I do realise that this is a very difficult situation for you.

HPE do only provide the latest version when HP-UX11iv3 is purchased.

If you are dealing with a HPE Authorised Reseller, then I would hope that they would support you by providing a copy of the HP-UX11iv3 1705 media for you to use.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

gbudny
Advisor

Unfortunately, the HPE Authorized Reseller informed that they only have the access to the current version of HP-UX11iv3 BOE, so if HPE can't sell me HP-UX11iv3 (1705) - I have no idea where can I buy it.

Can you tell me if there are other resellers that have access to HP-UX11iv3 (1705)? Is there any list of resellers?

Someone told me that I can install the version of HP-UX 11.22 and 11.23 on this computer. However, I don't know if I can use the updates if have one of these versions. Of course, if it is possible where can I buy HP-UX 11.22 or 11.23?

Hawkeye
HPE Pro

HPE and HPE Authorised Reselllers are all in the same situation, they only sell the latest version of HP-UX11iv3.

If you have purchased HP-UX11iv3 Base-OE, then you do not need to purchase it again.

I would recommend that you ask your HPE Authorised Reseller to work with their HPE Partner Manager to obtain a copy of HP-UX11iv3 1705 Base-OE for you. If you can only obtain an E-media (downloadable) version, then you will need 2x DVD+R DL (Dual layer) blank disks to burn this to physical media.

HP-UX11iv2 (11.23) is supported on rx4640, but this is obsolete and not available for purchase or download.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

gbudny
Advisor

I received a suggestion that I should contact with the HPE account manager.