1751857 Members
5765 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Error: Could not set flash list

C. Michael Roberson
Occasional Contributor

Error: Could not set flash list

I am attempting to upgrade firmware on an rx4640 using the latest ISO image for v4.21.
Using the Firmware Manager, the message, "error: could not set flash list" is returned immediately after closing 2nd warning window subsequent to selecting тАЬbegin update." That would be the point where the upgrade is actually launched. I contacted Tech Assist and was steered in a different direction being told to use patch PHSS36159. This customer will provide no access to the OS and will unlikely attempt, themselves, to install this patch soon. We need this MP upgrade to effectively change SNMP settings.
I also tried upgrading to v4.10a first, but received the same failure message.
Current Firmware is:

MP FW : E.03.13
BMC FW : 03.47
EFI FW : 03.10
System FW : 03.11

Can someone provide some knowledge or insight concerning this failure message when attempting to upgrade firmware.

Thanks,

Mike
5 REPLIES 5
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

The message indicates that the appropriate list of flash firmwares could not be set. The firmware manager would create the list after checking the source image before proceeding with firmware update. FM requires the "FTP" version of firmware.

What you have "ISO" version of the firmware with which you can create a CDROM, boot the server through it and upgrade the firmares. Now looking at HP BSC website, I don't see the "FM/FTP" version of the firmware available. You only have options like CDROM,EFI and OS patch to upgrade the firmware.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=346361&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=88837&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=2080
Phil uk
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I am not sure if this is relevant, but from the release notes:
If the currently installed MP firmware revision is E.03.13 or later, the MP firmware update will fail if the "Allow MP Firmware upgrade via PCI" option is Disabled in the MP Security Options menu. To update the firmware using this package, enable this option in the Login Options sub-menu of the MP Security Options menu.

Phil
Phil uk
Honored Contributor

.....also, it might be worth doing a full power reset of the machine (ie power cords removed for 30secs).
Sometimes the MP memory can become fragmented which prevents the "new" firmware image being loaded onto the MP.
A full reset "cleans up" the fragmented memory.
...worth a try maybe.

Phil
C. Michael Roberson
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Sameer and Phil for the quick replies. Sameer, you are correct about the flash list. Unfortunately, I have no idea where in the system that list is created, ie., NVRAM, SDRAM. Knowing that may be a good first step in the resolution. You are also correct that the ISO image is about my only choice other than the OS patch (which looks like that is what will have to happen). We have used the ISO image successfully on other integrity systems. Just seems to be this one.
Phil, we were carefull to ensure all of the prereqs were taken care of including the ones you mentioned, thus the great puzzlement concerning this error which even Tech Assist did not attempt to explain.
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

As per the HP FM guide at http://docs.hp.com/en/9065/FirmwareGuide.pdf
the NVRAM would be used to create the flash list. I hope you have had MP event logs cleared and MP reset as mentioned in the release notes prior to HPOFM use.

As mentioned in the guide, one of the reasons of such failure is exhausted NVRAM and resolution is to delete some EFI environment variables. Verify if that applies to your system.

Other problems could be CDROM problem or ISO image burn problem etc. but probability maybe low since you have had done this on other servers but worth to check/verify/trying another cdrom-burn process.