Go to solution
Kocourek Ondrej
Advisor

Event ID 9; Source: cpqcissm

Hello,

Approx. every 5 minutes I receive error in event log
Event ID: 9
Source: cpqcissm
The device, \Device\Scsi\cpqcissm1, did not respond within the timeout period.

The server works fine and without some presentive problems. But it is very unpleasant to read that "red" event log.

I shall be happy to get some advice how to resolve this issue.

server: HP Integrity server rx2620
Smart Array 6402 (in slot 3 - as requested in a guide)
latest BIOS and firmware of server and SA

Thank you
Ondrej Kocourek
XANADU, s.r.o.
CZE
4 REPLIES 4
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Re: Event ID 9; Source: cpqcissm

Hi,

I guess this is a known issue with HP Smart Array 641, 642, 64xx, Or 53xx Controllers. HP had released a customer advisory about the same. The advisory mention a resolution as "The message that is recorded in the event log has no effect on the normal operation of the server and may be safely ignored".

Refe the advisory at
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=367226&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=367226&objectID=PSD_EX041001_CW01

You can contact HP support to check if a fix is coming up in the new firmware/driver version for this array.
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello Ondrej,

since this is occuring every 5 minutes as you indicated, i think this issue is caused by the "SmartArray rescan service".
Disable the service and you will see that this issue will go away.

The rescan service is only their to periodically (default = 5 minutes) rescan the SmartArray controllers SCSI bus(es) in order to detect eventual disk replacements that took place after a disk failure.

In case you ever have to replace a defective disk online, simply start the rescan service or start the ACU utility and rescan the controller and the new disk will be detected.

HTH

Kris
Kocourek Ondrej
Advisor

I stopped HP Array Rescan service.

Event ID 9 is no longer appear.

Thanks for help.

Ondrej K.
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

Their is a new version of this rescan service that will only rescan the scsi bus if their is a array/logical drive degraded, so it will no lomger cause the scsi timeout every 5 minutes.

i.e.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=88837&prodNameId=346361&swEnvOID=1060&swLang=13&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=is-25222-7

Kris