5634 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Firmware release Itanium rx8640

Tor-Arne Nostdal
Trusted Contributor

Firmware release Itanium rx8640

Hi,
Could someone tell me how to identify correct Firmware release for our system?

After we have had some panic's and hardware failures I tried to check out which firmware release is the most recent for our rx8640 servers.

I got a statement form HP that the latest firmware release is already applied, but when I tried to search on http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html for "Firmware rx8640" I seem to find newer versions available.
ref. Version 2.0 (MP Initiated) (20 Sep 2006)

We are running HP-UX 11.23 on these systems.

Attached is a SYSREV (showing current versions) and DF (showing partnumber aso.) from the managment console.

Tor-Arne

P.S. This thread has been moved from HP 9000 to Servers > Integrity. -HP Forum Moderator

I'm trying to become President of the state I'm in...
4 REPLIES 4
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Re: Firmware release Itanium rx8640

You have Firmware Version 1.0 installed on the server.

You can refer the release notes of firmware at the website and compare with "sysrev" output to know the firmware version.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=1844071&swItem=ux-43241-1&prodNameId=1844072&swEnvOID=7&swLang=13&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=0
Tor-Arne Nostdal
Trusted Contributor

I know that it is version 1.0 (from sysrev), but how do I know exactly which firmware release that should be applied to my machines.

Is it

Version 2.0 (HPUX OSIFM) - Firmware release for HP rx8640, rx7640, and Server Expansion Unit (SEU)
rx8640_rx7640_2_0.tar.gz (17 MB)

or

Version 2.0 (MP Initiated) - Firmware release for HP rx8640, rx7640, and Server Expansion Unit (SEU)
m_ipf_sx2000_2_0.tar.gz (7.5 MB)

or

Version 2.0 (ISO HPOFM) - Firmware release for HP rx8640, rx7640, and Server Expansion Unit (SEU)
PF_CISX2KM20.zip (12 MB)

- or do they all have the same software... it's just a matter of how they're distributed

/Tor-Arne
timmy b.
Honored Contributor

They are the same software, they are simply different bundles for the different methods used to install them. I believe the first is Operating System Installed Firmware, the second is done from the Management Processor, and the last is done from the HP Offline diagnostics.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand Binary, and those who don't.
Tor-Arne Nostdal
Trusted Contributor

This was what I suspected.

Our HP consultances finally agreed to upgrade the Firmware and make sure all cell boards was on the same release.

Some cell boards also had to be replaced - as I've understood there have also been hw-errors on some of them.

Thanks again

/Tor-Arne