5414 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

GUI boot for rx4640

Rommel T. Misa_1
Occasional Contributor

GUI boot for rx4640

Hi!

I've installed HP-UX 11i v2 on our rx4640 in the office. Got one problem though. I can't get it to boot in GUI mode. But I can access the GUI mode using my PC and an X-windows emulation software.

Any tips?

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

Re: GUI boot for rx4640

Are you using a graphics card A6150B I think, or are you trying this with the VGA port? The PCI graphics card is the supported method, however you won't see anything until CDE starts.
Mom 6
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

Sorry, but I have to take that all back. I was thinking about the rp4440 which is almost the same hardware. Can you see the VGA port from the "sam" utility? What resolution is it trying to use?
Mom 6
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

I thought I saw something in one of these forum about defining the console path for input, output and error prior to boot. It was mentioned to turn off the RS-232 while enabling the vga. You might want to search for that prior thread.
Mom 6
Rommel T. Misa_1
Occasional Contributor

Yup. Tried enabing the VGA and disabling the RS232 port. But when I reboot, still ASCII interface.
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

I presume you saved the new settings to NVRAM. Does those setting change back to the RS-232? I had a zx2000 that was doing that once and I got a factory person to send me a command that I executed from the service processor, that fixed it. Since the firmware is different, I wouldn't want to try that specific command on your system. A key difference is also that after boot, I could run CDE on the monitor. Is there a device file for the vga port? Is it possible that you are missing a driver in the kernel?
Mom 6