4864 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Integrity BL60p server

Marcel Boogert_1
Trusted Contributor

HP Integrity BL60p server

Hi there,

Is there anyone who can share some information with me about the Integrity BL60p? I'm investigating the Integrity BL60p and can't find any info regarding this subject. Does anyone have any experience with this new technology? Maybe some experience in combination with the EVA6000?

Kind regards, MB.
7 REPLIES 7
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/Integrity-bl/p-class/60p/index.html

No experience with it though.

live free or die
harry d brown jr
Live Free or Die
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

This is the documentation, hope this helps:

http://docs.hp.com/en/hw.html#HP%20Integrity%20BL60p%20Server%20Blade

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Sung Oh
Respected Contributor

It's Dual Intel Itanium2 processor based blade server from HP. inital release of this blade server will only support HPUX, but later release version of blade will support Linux and windows as well.

Also, you can purchase Xeon or Opteron based processor blade side by side to run if you wish.

it's very nice product for Telco based operation; however, if you need more then just one server in one box without partitons based product, this will be a good choice as well.

Since each blade is only supporting two internal disks, you need to plan for SAN box if you need more disk spaces. One chice will be EVA6000 solution.

what are you plan to use the blade server?

Sung
Marcel Boogert_1
Trusted Contributor

Sung,

I'm investigating the pros and cons of this system in combination with Oracle databases. I'm looking for a flexible HP-UX solution. At this time I've got 28 production databases and 15 in test. In a year or so there can be 40 production databases, but this can also be after 2 years. That's why I'm investigating the BL60p, for the flexibility to upgrade quickly and for relatively low cost.

Regards, MB.
Sung Oh
Respected Contributor

Hi Marcel,

Looks like you have some choice to make here. if you are considering Oracle data base on the system for high-availability servers, this will be a good choice; however, Most blade servers are built for Telco services. just keep in mine that this servers are not powerful as other partitional integrity servers. it only supports two way processors per blade and when you need some horse power for your SQL database, it may not be the right choice.

Best Regards,
Sung
Marcel Boogert_1
Trusted Contributor

Sung,

I know it's a hard decision to make. Thank you for your comments. The fact is I have to choose between a RHEL environment on blade servers(BL25p) and the BL60p running HP-UX. It's important to be able to grow at low cost. But our knowledge and experience is all focused at HP-UX. I recently found out about the BL60p and started this investigation. Are you using a BL60p already in production? If so: How stable is this system? Do you use a SAN or something? Are you trying to tell me the performance isn't that great?

Regards, MB.
Sung Oh
Respected Contributor

Hi Marcel,

I do work with early proto-type units as well as future products. It is very hard for me say about the performance of BL60p; however, I've been working with all HP server products both in test and production. most blade server are targeting the Telco customer even though you can use it as other purpose.

especially, if you are considering the SQL data base server with large operation. HP has scalable mid range server that can fit your needs. you can start with small partition and as you grow you can add more partition into the mid range servers which you can load HP-UX, Windows, Linux, or OVMS in one server.

For your redhat linux servers you can either have IA32 based as well as IA64 based. you have to make choice of IA32 server which is low price tag vs. IA64 based server.

best regards,

Sung