3981 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP Integrity RX2660 Boot Problem

dannel1
Occasional Advisor

HP Integrity RX2660 Boot Problem

Hello,

I have a HP Integrity RX2660 that the system and MP batteries were removed on. After putting back in the same batteries, the server will no longer boot. The batteries were tested with a multimeter and both are approximately 3 volts. The server has no video, no front panel diagnostic lights (power button does turn green when on), and the UID button no longer works. When logged in through the MP console, if the VFP command is issued, I get an error that says there was an issue communication with the BMC. Also if the sysrev command is ran from the CM menu, all the firmware versions appear expect the BMC firmware version is unavailable. Also when running the CO command to enter into the live console, nothing is displayed. When the top cover is removed from the server the only other indicator that is illuminated is the Diag 2 light. This light code, as printed on the motherboard, says SFW Driver.

Could anyone help explain a potential path to a resolution?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Dan

13 REPLIES 13
Holger G
HPE Pro

Re: HP Integrity RX2660 Boot Problem

Hello Dan,

it seems as there is an issue at least with the BMC or the communication to it.
You may try to reset the BMC with the MP:CM> RB command.
If it does not help, you may try a good AC powercycle (power off the server with MP:CM> PC, wait 2 minutes, remove AC power, wait 2 minutes, add AC power again, wait 2 minutes, power on with with MP:CM> PC).
If still the same, check the Forward Progress Log (FPL) with MP> SL.

Kind Regards

Holger

I am an HP employee.
Was this post useful? - You may click the KUDOS! Star.

- I work for Hewlett Packard Enterprise -
dannel1
Occasional Advisor

Hello,

Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately that did not solve the issue. The results of the commands are listed below.

[mp] MP:CM> rb
RB
Execution of this may result in loss of system events.
Do you want to reset the BMC? (Y/[N]): y
y  
   -> BMC was issued a reset.
[mp] MP:CM> pc
PC
Current System Power State: Status is not available
    -> BMC Power Status query failed. You may
       try to execute the command if you wish.
Power Control Menu:
     C   - Power Cycle
     ON  - Power On
     OFF - Power Off
     G   - Graceful Shutdown
Enter menu item or [Q] to Quit: C
C
System will be power cycled.
   You must shut down the OS manually before this command is executed.
   Failure to do this can cause problems when the OS is restarted.
   Confirm? (Y/[N]): y
y
** Power off command failed.**
Enter menu item or [Ctrl-B] to Quit: f

Log Name            Entries    % Full      Latest Timestamped Entry
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
   F - Forward Progress        0
   -> There are no log entries corresponding to your choice.
   **  Communication problem with BMC.
   **  MP might not have the latest event logs.

Thanks again,

Dan

Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

From the symptoms it sounds like a problem with BMC itself.  While the BMC reset appears to work (or at least does not respond with an error), other actions do not (firmware not reporting, power command not working).

You can try the MP:CM> LOC command to try and turn on your UID LED.  This is another function controlled by BMC.

Regardless though, you may have corrupt BMC firmware or faulty hardware.  It is probably worth trying to reflash the firmware to see if that helps any

...if you could...I looked around and couldnt find the firmware download that has the MP images, just the EFI and ISO images.   There is an FW command from the MP that can be used to point to the images on an FTP accessible server, but you need the individual firmware files.   If you can get these, its worth trying to reflash BMC.  Otherwise, you may be needing a new system board.

-Bob

----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!
dannel1
Occasional Advisor

Bob,

I was thinking the exact same thing that you were. When the system battery was removed I believe that the BMC firmware was erased for some reason. I do not beleive that there is something physically wrong with the board.

Good idea on the LOC command. I already tried it and it failed to work. It seems as if the BMC is completely unresponsive.

When I do a CM>SYSREV all the firmware versions are listed but the BMC firmware is not listed. I do believe if I was able to reflash the BMC that would be a good next step to trying to solve this issue.

Is this the correct firmware? http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=447335&prodNameId=88839&swEnvOID=54&swLang=13&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=ux-67850-1 Do you have any instructions on how to reflash this if that is the correct firmware?

Thanks for all your help!

Dan

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

rx2660 firmware is here:

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdDetails/?sp4ts.oid=3346456&spf_p.tpst=swdMain&spf_p.prp_swdMain=wsrp-navigationalState%3Didx%253D%257CswItem%253Dux_109099_1%257CswEnvOID%253D54%257CitemLocale%253D%257CswLang%253D%257Cmode%253D%257Caction%253DdriverDocument&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken

instructions are under release notes tab.

But I doubt you can do this with a "dead" bmc.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
dannel1
Occasional Advisor

Hello Torsten,

Thank you for your help. Unfortunately I am not gettting to the EFI menu even, so you are correct, the instructions in the release notes tab will not work for me. Do you have another possible way to reflash bmc? The only connectivity that I currently have with the server is through the serial console interface. The live console in the console interface shows nothing and there is no video on the monitor, so I have to figure out how to do it through the console interface.

Thanks for your help,

Dan

Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

That is really the inherent problem.  If you could get to EFI you wouldnt have this problem anyways!

The FW command from the BMC would potentially allow the reflash of BMC, but you need that particular firmware image (not the EFI firmware package).   HP used to publish individual images for older systems, but apparently not for the rx2660.  Without this you will not be able to reflash the BMC in the state the server is and you are probably looking at hardware replacement to get the server going again.

-Bob

----------------
dannel1
Occasional Advisor

Hello Bob,

Exactly, if the EFI was available then this would be a nonissue!

What would the file extension be for the file that I am looking for?

Thanks for your help!

Dan

Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

I looked into this further and I dont think you are going to have any luck here.  

I found the firmare files that can be updated via the MP for the rx3600/6600 server, which is of the same architecture as the rx2660.  Turns out that these are only the FPGA type firmware images (specific core IO, power and fan control routines) and not the system, BMC or iLO firmware.  In fact, even to update the FPGA entities the SFW and BMC must be at specific revisions.

Looks like the only way to apply BMC firmware is through the EFI shell interface.

-Bob

----------------