6105 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HPE Superdome2

Archi1
Occasional Advisor

HPE Superdome2

Hello every one

I have two superdome2 16s . now I wanna upgrade the firmware to the latest one. do you have a step by step document for it? I wanna do it by my self.

also I have 64 CPU i6 and I wanna upgrade 16s to 32. can I do it with upgrade a firmware? I checked 32s with 16s . the server in both of them are same.the different is CPU and memory that I have both of them for 32s. do you know the upgrade procedure from 16s to 32s?

BR

15 REPLIES 15
Hawkeye
HPE Pro

Hi,

It is not supported to convert 2x SD2-16S into 1x SD-32S.

Upgrade from SD2-16S to SD2-32S is achieved by purchasing the upgrade from HPE, which includes an additional enclosure and all necessary  ancilliary components. HP-UX OE LTU's and associated support all need to be upgraded to 32Skt tier from the existing 16Skt tier. HPE engineers will need complete the upgrade, this is not user installable. 

Superdome 2 firmware installation instructions are available on the HPESC website http://www.hpe.com/support/hpesc. I would recommend that you engage HPE to upgrade your Superdome 2 firmware.

Download of the firmware requires a current HPE Support contract to be in place for the Superdome 2.

I work for HPE
A quick resolution to technical issues for your HPE products is just a click away HPE Support Center Knowledge-base
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

Archi1
Occasional Advisor

Hi

thanks for reply.

I have two 16s enclusere (so, I have additional enclusere) and as I know superdome 8s,16s and 32s have same server(motherboard) the different is between CPU and Memory that I have both of them.

so,I think(I'm not sure about that) when I upgrade a firmware and install the additional encluse and set the cables I'll be able upgrade it to 32 s.

Hawkeye
HPE Pro

Hi,

No, I'm afraid not, you will has 2x SD2-16S enclosures in an unsupported configuration.

Unfortunately, you cannot convert your 2x SD2-16S enclosures into a SD2-32S.

I work for HPE
A quick resolution to technical issues for your HPE products is just a click away HPE Support Center Knowledge-base

Accept or Kudo

S_Logan
HPE Pro

Hi Arch,

The SD2 8s and 16s have Similiar hardware (No Hardware changes), whereas 32s need 2 Enclosure.

Since , there is a hardware config changes , simple firmware upgrade wont help. 

I recommend, you to please log a Hardware Support Ticket:

https://www.hpe.com/us/en/contact-hpe.html

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Archi1
Occasional Advisor

Hi

I checked again

I'm sure the 8s,16s and 32s has same hardware

for upgrade from 16s to 32s you just need a tools that generate a one time password and also upgrade firmware and cabling

Hawkeye
HPE Pro

Hi,

Superdome 8S, 16S and 32S do all use the same fundamental hardware, but as stated earlier, it is not supported to upgrade 2x 16S enclosures to form 1x SD2-32S enclosure.

Also, it is not possible for end users to upgrade the enclosure information.

If you wish to perform any upgrade, you must purchase the associated upgrade from HPE and the associated HP-UX LTU tier licenses.

HP-UX licensing is "Per-socket" (PSL) for a specific tier e.g. 8Skt/16Skt/32skt tier.

For example, to upgrade SD2-8S (with 4 blades/8skts, HP-UX11iv3 VSE-OE, 3yr FC24x7 support ) to SD2-16S you would need to purchase.

1x SD2-8S to SD2-16S upgrade 

8x HP-UX11iv3 16Skt tier PSL LTU

8x 3yr FC 24x7 Support uplift for Blades and HP-UX11iv3 VSE-OE

I would strongly recommend that you mainitain your mission critical Superdome 2 server in a HPE supported configuration.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Archi1
Occasional Advisor

Hi

thanks for reply. ok I'll contact with hpe for upgrade.

I have another question.

can I install a 95XX CPU in i2 server?

in superdome2 i2 server coming  with 93XX processor, i4 server with 95XX processor and i6 server coming with 97XX  processor.

as you told me the server hardware are same so, can I install the 95XX processor in i2 server?

Hawkeye
HPE Pro

Hi,

Yes, Superdome 2 supports i2, i4 and i6 cell-blades in the same enclosure, but they must be in separate nPars (hard partitions).

You cannot mix different generarionts of blades in the same nPar.

You must also ensure your Complex firmware version supports i6 cell-blades.

Your OS update level must support the generation of blade it is running on e..g. i6 requires HP-UX11iv3 2017 Update release.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Archi1
Occasional Advisor

Hi Hawkeye

Thanks a world for your reply.

yes I know SD2 supprt i2,  i4 and i6

superdome2 with i2 blade server is coming  with 93XX processor

superdome2 with i4 blade server is coming with 95XX processor

superdome2 with i6 blade server is coming with 97XX processor

my question is:

can I install a 95XX processor in i2 server blade?

I have 8 blade server i2 with 16 , 93XX processor in my enclosure . can I change my processor with 9560 processore?

I installed a processor and OA see the processor but when I start a prtition after 2 min the partition is going off. is it related with npartition firmware?

see the attachment file please.