SOLVED
Go to solution
hung_9
Advisor

How to change SCSI ID of SCSI controller

Hi all,
Pls tell me how to change the SCSI ID of SCSI controller in my rx2600 server,
I do not know how to change it.

In fact, I have two rx2600 and one Disk closure DS2300. I want to make one cluster from this. But both SCSI address of my server are 7 (default from HP), I do not know how to change one to the address of 6.
I could not find any document of this.
Help me pls!!
Thanks all of your supports

Hung tran manh
10 REPLIES 10
MarkSyder
Honored Contributor

Re: How to change SCSI ID of SCSI controller

SCSI controllers are supposed to have id 7 - the highest priority number.

I would advise against changing it.

Mark Syder (like the drink but spelt different)
The triumph of evil requires only that good men do nothing
KapilRaj
Honored Contributor

If you are not planing to add one more SCSI adapter , you need not change the SCSI id from 7 !

In older systems , we used to have dip switches to change the SCSI id but the newer one's i think there should be a configuration tool some where !

I am searching for the same yea ..

Kaps
Nothing is impossible
KapilRaj
Honored Contributor

read it as if ur not planning to add two scsi adapters in a single SCSI bus ( In this can se u have to !)

Apologies ..

Kaps
Nothing is impossible
Bernhard Mueller
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

you definitely need to change one HBA id to have unique scsi targets on the shared bus.

To do that on an Itanium machine you have to do this at the EFI level. However, this book on the rx2600 does not say anything about this issue.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/CoreRedirect.jsp?targetPage=http%3A%2F%2Fh200006.www2.hp.com%2Fbc%2Fdocs%2Fsupport%2FSupportManual%2Flpn04096%2Flpn04096.pdf

So you *might* take a look at the manual for the rx5670:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/CoreRedirect.jsp?targetPage=http%3A%2F%2Fh200001.www2.hp.com%2Fbc%2Fdocs%2Fsupport%2FSupportManual%2Flpn14136%2Flpn14136.pdf

...where it is documented for this machine. *Perhaps* it helps.

Regards,
Bernhard
hung_9
Advisor

Hi all,
In fact, I want to connect the two server to the common disk closure to make a cluster, so that the two SCSI addr of the two SCSI controller in the two server must be diferent,
Other wise, There will be an SCSI addr collision.

now, when connecting the two server to the Disk closure DS2300, when one server is running, I turn on the other server, the first server get dump. I can not run the two server at the same time.

with rp 26** server, it is easy to change SCSI ID at the boot time.
But with my new Itanium server rx2600 I do not know how to do it..

Help me...
Thanks for all of your support
Hung tran manh
hung_9
Advisor

Thank you, Bernhard Mueller
I have found some interesting infor from rx5670.
Using EFI Shell command to change SCSI ID.
I will try to change my HBA's SCSI ID of my rx2600. Hoping that, this will be OK
Thank you one more time
Hung tran manh
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Hung tran manh,

when a server is turned on it usually issues a SCSI bus reset which will be seen by the other server. Many adapters and their device drivers in the operating system do not know how to deal with this situation - they 'think' they are the only initiator that has full control over the bus. Bus resets can also happen when one server is shutdown or re-initialized.

How is the bus terminated? Are you sure that the bus is properly terminated when the server is powered down?

I have done a number of cluster projects with AlphaServers and the OpenVMS operating system and I have always disabled the on-board termination and used external terminators with an Y-cable.

Honestly, I am not very optimistic that you can make that working reliable. Do you have any information from HP that even remotely indicates that this is a supported configuration?
hung_9
Advisor

Thanks Uwe Zessin,
In fact HP said, they do not support this configuration to run Cluster.
But I install Windows 2003 63-bit version in the two server, Hoping that this configuration can run cluster well in windows environment.
But I can not.
May be this can not run well. I will not try this more.
Thanks all of you for your support
Hung tran manh
Ron Lawson_1
Trusted Contributor

You can do this, but not from the built-in SCSI port. The built-in SCSI ports do not support multi-initiator configurations. A SCSI add-in card such as A6828A or A6829A is required on each server if you want to use a multi-initiator configuration.

The EFI shell is where you would change the ID of the add-in card.

One final note -- if you decide to keep your DS2300 connected to the rx2600 external port, be sure to use the EFI shell to limit the speed of the SCSI bus to U160. The DS2300 is a U160 device, but the rx2600 is U320 capable, and there are several IO timeouts and bus resets before the speed is negotiated down to U160. Limiting the speed to U160 avoids the bus resets and associated delays. The DS2300 will still run at its maximum speed.