Integrity Servers
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I see only a blinking cursor in the monitor after I power on hp-unix server.

GnanaShekar
Regular Advisor

I see only a blinking cursor in the monitor after I power on hp-unix server.

Hi,

I have got 2 hp rx4640 servers from another lab.
These servers were running hp-unix 11.23 before they arrived.
Now when I power them, I see only a blinking cursor in the monitor.
Please suggest.

I tried to connect to the serial console using hyperterminal (Baud: 9600, Data bits:8, Parity: None, Stop bits:1, Flow control:Hardware), but nothing seems to appear even in the console. Please suggest.

Thanks & Regards,
-Gnanashekar-
9 REPLIES 9
GnanaShekar
Regular Advisor

Re: I see only a blinking cursor in the monitor after I power on hp-unix server.

Hi,

I get the MP Login: prompt, but cannot enter anything from the keyboard of my laptop, from which I am connected to the server using hyperterminal. Please suggest.

Thanks & Regards,
-GnanaShekar-
Josiah Henline
Valued Contributor

Re: I see only a blinking cursor in the monitor after I power on hp-unix server.

Check the back of the machine close to where the console attaches. There should be an MP reset button. Resetting the MP may fix your problem.
If at first you don't succeed, read the man page.
GnanaShekar
Regular Advisor

Hi,

Thanks for the info about MP reset button.

However I still cannot type anything at the Hyperterminal.

Hyperterminal troubleshooting help suggests that the server might not be configured to echo what I type.

Please suggest,
Thanks & Regards,
-GnanaShekar-
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Hi Gnanashekar,

Do you have VGA monitor connected?
It might be case, the VGA monitor alongwith usb keyboard and mouse was used before with these servers. Thus active console input/output might be set to them.

If you have usb keyboard/mouse, try by connecting them. The keybaord would work for serial MP interface too.

If you don't have usb keyboard, disconnect the VGA monitor. Then try by connecting through "hyper-terminal" or dumb terminal.
Alan_152
Honored Contributor

Have you set the default console/display setup in the EFI menu so that the VGA is primary or secondary? Around here, when we don't get any display at all, it is set to "NC".