7593 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Installing HP-UX 11i on a DL590/64

SOLVED
Go to solution
Name_31

Installing HP-UX 11i on a DL590/64

We've got an old DL590/64 upon which we need to install HP-UX 11i upon. It seems that the 11i v2 DVD supports ia64, but the problem is that the system doesn't seem capable of booting from DVD (we were able to boot W2K3 from CD as well as RHEL v4 from CD). I replaced the stock CD-Rom with a 2005 DVD, but no luck.

So my question is whether it's possible to get a version of HP-UX 11i on CD-ROM, or whether there's a way to boot from an Ignite-UX server (we do have a workstation running 11i v2).

Thanks in advance!

Doug
15 REPLIES 15
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Your server is a itanium box, but it was never designed or supported to run HP-UX.

It is NOT possible to run HP-UX on that system.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Luk Vandenbussche
Honored Contributor

Hi,

HP-UX 11i in not supported.
You find the quickspecs here

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/10907_div/10907_div.PDF
Solution

As you no doubt know by now, you can't run HP-UX on this. Here's what you can run on a DL590:

Windows Server 2003 EE:

http://h10018.www1.hp.com/wwsolutions/windows/archive.html

Thats It.

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Name_31

Thanks very much, guys. I appreciate the help.

Just to make sure I fully understand, is it impossible to run HP-UX on a DL590/64, or is it just that HP-UX is "unsupported" on it?

I think the HP-UX 11i v2 (albeit a PA-RISC architecture and not ia64) that we run on a visualize c3600 workstation is technically unsupported, yet it worked with a minimum of trouble.

Also, please forgive me in advance if what I'm asking/suggesting/proposing is illicit, as I've just been handed the install media (our company is registered with DSPP) and pointed to the "Itanium" machine.

Thanks (in advance) again!

Doug
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Feel free to ask your questions and assign points - you are in the forum ;-)

It is not only unsupported, it is impossible to run HP-UX on your box, due to totally different hardware - it's simply not a rx-style box.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   

The problem isn't the processor - its the chipset... HPUX requires either the HP zx1 or HP sx1000 chipset, and I suspect the DL590 uses an Intel chipset.

If your in the DSP I'd suggest talking to HP and getting hold of a rx1620...

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Name_31

Thanks again, Torsten.

So here's another follow up question.

I was under the impression that the 11i v1 was PA-RISC only, that the 11i v1.2/1.5/1.6 were spawned when Compaq was adding ia64 support, and that the v2 was the grand unification of HP-UX PA-RISC and ia64.

I also thought I read that the v1.2, 1.5, or 1.6 had support for the Merced (now called Itanium1, I think) chipset, which is what I think is in the DL590.

Hence, I thought that perhaps there was HP-UX 11i support (at one time) for the underlying HW of the DL590/64.

Thanks once more!

Doug
Abeer_1
Advisor

The HP-UX 11i is supported on PA-RISC platform or Itanium (Now available is Itanium2) platform when it is ordered to run Unix OS (as the core I/O differs by the OS)....

The Intel based servers or AMD 64 supports Linux, Windows or Netware

Abeer

Doug,

Now you have me thinking...

Actually the first HP Integrity servers (rx4610 and rx9610) *did* use the Intel 82460GX chipset, which is the same chipset as is in the DL590. These boxes ran 11iv1.5, but even that didn't list the DL590 as supported:

http://docs.hp.com/en/B9106-90015/ch02s01.html

Looks like 11iv1.6 also supported this old chipset as the rx4610 is still listed there, as well as a bunch of systems based on the zx1 chipset:

http://docs.hp.com/en/5187-0701/ch02s04.html

However, with the release of 11iv2, support for the old Intel based chipsets is dropped:

http://docs.hp.com/en/5990-6737/ch03s03.html?btnNext=next%A0%BB

So 11iv2 is *never* going to work. I suspect that v1.5/v1.6 won't work either probably because of lack of device drivers for the various components in the DL590 - but at least the chipset is supported...

The DL590 is of course a pre-merger machine and was always scheduled for the chop once the merger went through - again mainly due to the chipset - the Intel chipset was always poor, and HP had already developed their own superior version - it was natural to phase out the DL590 along with HPs own intel chipset based IA64 systems.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo