108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Installing HP-UX 11i on a DL590/64

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

Duncan provided the correct detailed response.
Mom 6
rick jones
Honored Contributor

Adding to the discussion...

As much as those of us promoting Itanium would like to see more Itanium boxes running out there, we dont' really want people's impressions of Itanium formed on the basis of systems using Merced.

So, unless you are simply into old systems, it might be best to treat the DL590 (or any rx4610, i2000 or rx9610) as either museum pieces, or boat anchors as you prefer :)

If you want to do actual 11iV2 "work," you are _much_ better-off with even an old 900 MHz rx2600 (McKinley) but I'd probably push the rx1620 or better myself. If you want four CPUs, then the rx4640, or an old rx5670.

WRT supported vs works in HPspeak:

Supported, known to work -> warm fuzzies all around
Supported, not known to not work -> an HPite may be in trouble
Supported, known to not work -> an HPite is in trouble
Unsupported, known to work -> lucky today, unlucky tomorrow?
Unsupported, not known to not work -> there but for the grace of Turing
Unsupported, known to not work -> no, it was not deliberate ;-)

there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

I think that 11i v2 is known not to work with the rx4610, and that should extend to its cousin, the DL590.
Mom 6
Name_31

Yes, I wish that we had an least an Itanium2 machine. A zx2000 would be nice, but unfortunately, those are still out of reach for the project budget.

I don't suppose that 11i v1.5 ever came out in CD-ROM format?

Doug
rick jones
Honored Contributor

I don't think there has ever been an option on HP Integrity (Itanium) systems to have a reader that only did CD and not DVD so I doubt that there were 11i v1.5's on CD.

Just what is the nature of this project? Even if you were to somehow get HP-UX 11i V1.5 to work on the DL590, developing software on HP-UX 11i v1.5 for use on actual production systems running 11i v2... also, IIRC 11i v1.5 was "just enough" to get things started - Minimum Core Functionality.

eBay is showing a couple zx2000's for less than a grand.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows

IF you are actually looking to port/develop software for HP-UX/IA64, there's every chance that HP will lend you the kit to do the development... have you actually apporached HP and asked about this?

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo