New Discussion юеВ

Re: Integrity RX2600 Firmware not loaded

SOLVED
Go to solution
mikhail1m1s
Occasional Advisor

Integrity RX2600 Firmware not loaded

Hello All,

I bought three used/refurbished servers. Two of those have same problem - upon boot time the system firmware code fetch LED on the system board does not come on. According "Operations and Maintanance Guide" it indicates that I "may have to replace the system board".

The last server shows everytime problem faulty MemBank B0 (during boot time I can see that on the RS232 output) - I swaped memory planks but error remained same all the time (BTW this server was working for long time at my side).

I have a question - Is it possible to solve those problems somehow? Is there some way to bypass faulty memory bank or repair controller or something else? Can I take spare parts from one system board and put those to other to fix either F/W no fetching problem or problem with faulty MemBank B0?

Thank you.

With Best Regards,

Mikhail.

10 REPLIES 10
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

I have seen this recently with a rx2620. No matter what DIMM is in slot b0, always this slot is marked bad. The only solution was to replace the system board, since this was likely a problem with the slot itself or the memory controller on the board.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
mikhail1m1s
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for your quick answer. Same for me - I understand that the controller went bad... Well having three not working boards - is not good situation and replacing those can cost me. So I thought that I can take some spare part from one board and put it into another board. Do you know someone who can direct me where this MemBank Controller is? Is it replaceable? Are there repair manual for RX26xx series?

One more question - did you meet the problem with firmware not fetching? Does anybody know if it is possible to solve this problem?

Thank you.

With Best Regards,

Mikhail.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

The memory controller is part of the chipset below the large heatsink, next to the CPUs between the memory banks. You cannot replace the chip, sorry.

But you could try to insert 8 instead of only DIMMs, maybe the first 4 DIMMs get disabled, but the other 4 DIMMs work?

Consider to pull the logs from the MP:

MP> sl -> e -> t

(system logs - error log - text mode)

The server always needs "quads" of DIMMs (4 dimms), if 1 dimm is bad, all other 3 dimms out of the quad get disabled too.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

mikhail1m1s
Occasional Advisor

I have tried that already (8 DIMMs) but it did not work :( , so I assume this board is dead - right?

Quetion - where is the Firmware chip locating? Can I replace that? Or how can I burn new firmware instead of the not working one? Or it is controller problem too?

Thank you.

With Best Regards,

Mikhail.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Whats wrong with the firmware?

If the logs say "MEM_CHIPSPARE_DEALLOC_RANK" followed by "MEM_NO_MEM_FOUND" the system will just stop boot because of no memory.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

mikhail1m1s
Occasional Advisor

I have three boards.

One board has exactly problem you described. And 8 DIMMs did not save the board. So I assume it is dead  - is it?

Two other boards not booting at all - the F/W LED does not come on. So I assume firmware not fetching.

Thank you.

With Best Regards,

Mikhail.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Do you have the MP board installed (3)?

Connect to the MP, type "sl" to get to the logs, "c" clear the logs, go to live logs, switch to text mode and power on the system. capture the logs and we will see what happens.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

mikhail1m1s
Occasional Advisor

I am using RS232 serial port to see logs and control the server, isn't this the same as output from iLO MP Card? So far it did work very good, but recently I got that error with memory bank and it stops as your described.

Speaking about two other boards - I can't see any logs - it doesn't show any logs at all and that F/W LED on the System boad (next to BMC LED) does not come on. Will I see something with iLO MP Card?

With Best Regards,

Mikhail.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Without any log, status of the front leds etc ... I can't tell you something useful.

The "dead" systems problem could be the board, the cpu, the power supply, the CPU support module or whatever ...

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.