108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Integrity SUperdome - mx2 modules?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mott Given
Frequent Advisor

Integrity SUperdome - mx2 modules?

What performance/capacity differences are there between the regular modules on the Integrity SUperdome and the mx2 dual-processor modules?

Mott Given
6 REPLIES 6
Solution

Well it depends what processors you are comparing with... The mx2 processor was (IIRC) based on the first generation Madison processor and ran at 1.1GHz - each processor on the module had 6MB of L3 cache and shared an off-chip L4 cache of 32MB - this produced performance in the region of 50% better than the equivalent single processor module. Of course there are now newer generations of the Madison processor available, notably the Madison 9M, which runs at 1.6GHz and sports 9MB of L3 cache - HP hasn't put this procssor onto an mx2 module, presumably because in a mere 9 months we should have true dual core processors from Intel in the form of Montecito. Comparing mx2 with Madison 9M, we find a smaller perf benenfit of in the region of 30% - of course you should take cost into account as well, and here I think you will find that the 9M is more than 30% cheaper than the mx2.

So in summary - if you absolutely have to squeeze lots of seperate CPUs out of your box then use mx2 - if you just want the biggest bang for your bucks go with the Madison 9Ms

Hope that helps

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo

oops - I guess I forgot to add the standard boilerplate warnings - so here they are!

This is what I have seen - of course your mileage may vary, and the costs were list - you may find HP more willing to discount on mx2 over 9M...

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Mott Given
Frequent Advisor

What are the model names of the latest Integrity Superdome servers with the 1.6MHz chips (eg. rx8420, SD16, etc.?

Mott Given

The model names are unchanged - regardless of whether you have mx2 or 9M processors - you just need to ask HP or your reseller to configure the server with the appropriate processors.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
timmy b.
Honored Contributor

Here is a great info site for you, Mott.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11717_div/11717_div.HTML
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand Binary, and those who don't.
Mott Given
Frequent Advisor

Thanks, Duncan and Timmy.

Mott