Integrity Servers
1752564 Members
3992 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Integrity vs Proliant -- reliability and ease of service?

SOLVED
Go to solution

Integrity vs Proliant -- reliability and ease of service?

Good afternoon,

We have a Customer that is planning to install a 250-300 user database system. HP's sizing tool suggested a Prolaint 580, but the only questions it asked were the type of application and the number of users.

I'm trying to compare the Proliant 580 to the nearest equivalent Integrity on issues OTHER than performance issues (Mean Time Between Failures, Mean Time To Data Loss, Mean Time To Repair, etc.) but I'm finding little or no information comparing the two lines on anything other than strictly performance.

Can anyone help me out? Personal experiences, links to information, and suggestions to RTFM accepted (as long as you tell me which FM!)
11 REPLIES 11

I should probably also note that we are planning to use an EVA4400 for storage, so space for drive bays and on-board storage controllers will probably not be part of the equation.

Michael,

You won't find public MTBF or MTTR figures for either Proliant or Integrity servers. The reason is that it all depends on the actual configuration you have, so publishing a "typical" number is open to interpretation (usually by the competition).

If you were to pull out some of the advantages of Integrity over Proliant, they would be:

Dynamic Processor Resiliency - servers can detect some cases of failing CPU and take the CPU offline before the failure (HP-UX only I think)

Double-chip spare - RAID-like levels of protection for memory, without the overhead of extra memory.

Intel Cache-safe technology (disabling failed cache-lines in processors)

Enhancedd PCIe IO error recovery (failing PCIe cards can be isolated and prevent whole system for crashing)

If I were to sum all this up I'd say that a hardware error on an Integrity system is:

i) Less likely to result in a complete system failure.
ii) Crucially is more "diagnose-able" - i.e. it's generally possible to use the "Machine Check end" architecture in Itanium CPUs to gather enough data at the point of panic to diagnose what failed. I've seen x86 systems where intermittent hardware errors were only fixed by a "trial and error" approach to component replacement, due to a lack of meaningful data on the state of the system at the point of failure.

For more info/data, I'd suggest you contact a local HP or reseller rep.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
TTr
Honored Contributor

We have been using both hardware platforms for about 3 years now and as far as robustness and hardware failures go, they are identical. They are extremely robust and reliable. I can not recall any hardware failures.

As far as sizing is concerned I would look into the database, the application, existing environment, app vendor other installations etc to get some more feedback on sizing.

TTr: Can you give me some idea how many of each you have in the field? What you said is interesting, but if I know how many servers you're talking about, it will give me a better idea of the statistical significance.
TTr
Honored Contributor

We have more than 50 rx servers, with 6 rx8640 and many rx6600, 3600 and a few 2660s. The majority are oracle servers. For proliants we use exclusively 380s and 580s with a few 360s. The total would be over 250 DLs. We use about 30 580s for our VMware farms. The rest are fileservers, app/web servers and some SQL servers. We also have a decent blade chassis presence with BL460s for windows and BL860s for HP-UX. I would estimate over 150 blades.
Now for the HP sizing tool we used it for a large DB environment and it is heavily based on user requirements and number of transactions. It came back with recommendations for servers/storage half the size of our legacy enviornment. We ended up ordering upfront new hw wwhich was 4x our legacy and with room to double the cPUs mem etc.

OK, one more question -- if the reliability and performance of the Proliant and Integrity servers are similar, why bother with the Integrity servers? Are you running HP/UX on them?
TTr
Honored Contributor

That's right. Only HP-UX on integrity servers. and only windows (No Linux) on the Proliant ones.
Avinash20
Honored Contributor
Solution

I have found one document which will surely help you with the post

ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/servers/software/microsoft/integrity-proliant-pos-brief.pdf
"Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."

Thanks! That looks useful.