1753767 Members
5475 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Intergrated Mirror rx 6600

harsr
Advisor

Intergrated Mirror rx 6600

We are installing a rx 6600 server and were configuring the SAS controller for Integrated mirror volume.When selecting the Boot disk as primary to migrate the volume it gives a error as : Not enough space at the end of the disk and this cannot be used in a array.

Can anyone please suggest on this above issue.

Thanks
17 REPLIES 17
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

I assume you are dealing with HPUX and SAS1068?

What do you see under existing array configuration?
harsr
Advisor

Hi

Ya we are dealing with HP-UX 11.23 and there is no View Existing Array Screen in the Utility. There is only one Create IM Volume tab.

When we select the root disk as primary and Migrate the Array . It terminates with a error as There is no enough space in the end of the disk.
rick jones
Honored Contributor

The core SAS I/O "supported" under 11.23 on the rx6600 is a "simple" one that IIRC only does RAID1. It differs from the P600 (?) SAS SmartArray which is supported as the core I/O for Win/Linux.

I suspect that docs.hp.com will have system manuals for the rx6600 describing things with the simpler SAS controller. (as well as the SmartArray one...)
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
ketenn57
Occasional Advisor

Hi, just wanted to know if anybody has a solution for the initial issue that harsr had? We have two disks in our rx6600, one is VG00 and the other is unused. I would like to mirror the drives but when I select the primary disk (disk that is VG00) I recieve the same error "Not enough space at the end of the disk and this cannot be used in a array." Is there a way to mirror these drives without destroying all the data on these disks and starting over?

Thanks
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

The first disk (primary) must have free space of 512KB for the metadata after the last partition.

If there is no 512KB free space after the last partition on the primary disk, you would see the error message.
ketenn57
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Sameer,

Currently there is one volume group on the primary drive VG00 and within that volume group about 7 logical volumes. Also the volume group currently isn't as large as the primary disk.

How would I go about adding space after the last partion?

What do you consider the last partition, VG00?

Do I need to add space after VG00 or within?

Can I use SAM to make this change?

Thanks In Advance....
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

This has nothing to do with LVM or vg00, because this is located in the "middle" of the disk.

The problem here is the disk layout.

See this figure:

http://docs.hp.com/en/B2355-90950/ch06s02.html#d0e52328

Figure 6-5 Example LVM Disk Layout on HP Integrity Server

To work around this I used to take an ignite backup, configure the integrated raid and restore the backup. Depending on the tape drive used (or network speed) the procedure takes 20~60 min.

BTW, if you have only 2 disks installed, you should consider to move them from slot 7/8 to 1/2 before creating the RAID for several reasons.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

There is another workaround, but I think you need a third disk for that.

Mirror or clone (with DRD - dynamic root disk) the system to another disk and prepare to boot from.

Create the Integrated mirror (with data loss on that disks).

Sync (just like after a disk replacement) the mirror to the IR volume or clone it back.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Brian Beck HPUX

Hi Torsten!

Sorry to semi-hijack this thread, but we are now deploying our first rx6600's and they came from the factory w/ 2 SAS drives in slots 7/8. I was concerned about your comment suggesting "numerous reasons" for moving them to 1/2. Could you please elaborate on these reasons?

Thanks!