New Discussion юеВ

Re: Is we need to do the remirroring if replacing the SAS HDDs

SOLVED
Go to solution
Syedfurquan
Trusted Contributor

Is we need to do the remirroring if replacing the SAS HDDs

Hi,

I need to replace a SAS HDDs on rx 2660. The volume groups of which this HDDs belong is mirrored. So after replacing the HDDs do I need to again remirror the volume groups or only need to sync the LV.

Please send me the steps what I need to do.

Regards

Syed

P.S. This thread has been moved from General to Integrity Servers. - Hp Forum Moderator

Regards,
Syed
3 REPLIES 3
Syedfurquan
Trusted Contributor

Sorry I missed to inform that the disk is locally mounted. This disk is used for vg00
Regards,
Syed
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

A quick look to rx2660 User Service Guide tells me it has an optional hardware RAID controller. So the correct procedure will depend on if you have a hardware RAID installed or not.

With hardware RAID, the default is to automatically rebuild the RAID set as soon as the failed disk is replaced. If this behavior is not desired, it is possible to disable auto-rebuild; however, it seems to me most people don't do that.

If this command lists any devices, your system has a hardware RAID installed:

ioscan -kfnd ciss

The device name would be like /dev/cissN, where N is a number. To verify the state of the RAID controller, you would use a command like "sautil /dev/cissN". See "man sautil" for more information.

If you don't have a hardware RAID controller, your mirroring is implemented with MirrorDisk/UX. The MirrorDisk/UX product only mirrors the data inside mirrored LVs, not the EFI partition structure nor the bootloader.

Here is a HP document about dealing with disk failures, known as "When Good Disks go Bad":

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01911837/c01911837.pdf

See the step-by-step procedure starting on page 36, titled "Replacing a Mirrored Boot Disk".

MK
Syedfurquan
Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the support.
Regards,
Syed