108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Itanium Based System

SOLVED
Go to solution
subashbl870
Regular Advisor

Itanium Based System

How to make a Image full hard disk from itanium based processor and also how to boot the system from cd. we have itanium based server windows 2008 server 64 bit
5 REPLIES 5
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Subash,

not sure about the imaging s/w but to boot a bl870c from a cd (Windows or other does not matter) you just have to make sure the CD has a bootable partition on it that the EFI shell recognizes and this is FAT or FAT32 only.

So your Windows IA64 cd/dvd contains a special partition (FAT/FAT32) from which the blade/server boots i.e. a WinPE mini OS which then can access the other partitions on the CD/DVD.

A Windows CD/DVD for x64 i.e. will not be bootable on IA64.

HTH

Kris
subashbl870
Regular Advisor

it good
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

you obviosuly use the Virtual Media feature of your blade iLO to mount the cd or .ISO image to boot form, so there is no need for a physicall cd/dvd drive.
subashbl870
Regular Advisor

how can i use this option Virtual Media feature of your blade iLO to mount the cd or .ISO image to boot form
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

On all Integrity blades the iLO/MP comes with all advanced features enabled by default, there is no additional license you should buy like for the Proliant blades.

Have a look at the manual, basically it is very easy , log on to the graphical user interface of the iLO using http://ilo-ip address. Then go to the Virtual Media TAB and hit the Launch button, in the new window select 'Local Drive' or 'Local Image' file and Browse to the local cd-drive or .ISO file on the pc you launched the http session from.

Then the cd/dvd will be visible at EFI shell (i.e. to boot from ) or at the OS level if you alrady have a OS installed.

HTH

Kris