108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MP LAN does not work after a broadcast attack

SOLVED
Go to solution
Peter te Focht
Frequent Advisor

MP LAN does not work after a broadcast attack

We had, due a networkfailure, a big amount of broadcast on our network. Since then we cannot reach the ManagementConsoles via LAN. The hardware, we cannot reach anymore, are a RX1620, RX4640 and two RP4440. The last two are in different computerrooms. The RX1620 is a testmachine, so I could try to repair the situation. I tried a MP-reset. No result. I switched off the machine. No result. I took away the power of the powersupply and connected it again. Then I could connect the managementconsole again and powered the machine remote on. But I cannot take the power away of the other machines(Production). Is there another way to reset the GSP?? Is this a known failure ????
8 REPLIES 8
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

I've read suggestions here that the MPs be put on their own private LAN for security reasons.

Have you tried:
stty +resetGSP http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1158493

Peter te Focht
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for reply, I tried to reset with : stty +resetGSP < /dev/GSPdiag1 , then the system says : GSP reset failed.
With stty +queryGSP < /dev/GSPdiag1 it says : GSP needs to be reset.
So nothing happens. I connected the systemconsole to the machine and tried to make a connection. But even that does not work.
YAQUB_1
Respected Contributor

Hi,

At the MP Main Menu, enter CM and press Enter to select command mode then Enter XD -R to reset the iLO 2 MP.

U can also chech the below URL site:-
http://docs.hp.com/en/AB464-9003C/ch03s07.html

Thanks--Yaqub
I am a Customer Advocate!!!
Sherif A. Louis
Valued Contributor

yaqub man! he is saying that he can't connect to the MP!!!

push the button for 5 seconds that should do a default factory reset! that is if you haven't tried it.

did u try to connect to it through a console?? may be it is just the network interface that's hung?
Peter te Focht
Frequent Advisor

Hello to all of you,

After having contact with HP support, I tried the last thing, pushing the GSP-reset-button. I now know where to find this button on a RX4640 and a RP4440-machine, on a very bad reachable place.But even after 20 sec's pushing nothing happens. So I had to to shutdown the servers last sunday in a short support-window. But shutting down is not enough, you also have to disconnect all the powerlines of the machine. Leave them away for about 20 sec's and reconnect them. The machine will start again and the GSP is responding again. I wonder what happened in the GSP after this broadcast-storm, may be it is interesting for HP why a GSP can hangup and is not resettable in a case like this.
A seperate management-network will avoid a lot of troubles, but bad harware on the network can cause this problem again.
Thanks for all your advises, I learned a lot of it. Best regards, Jan Poortman
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

this may or may not related.

From the firmware release notes (example for the rx4640):

"iLO MP FW E.03.15
A port scan of the MP will no longer cause an MP hang."

The current version is

VERSION: System FW 04.29, BMC FW 04.06, iLO MP FW E.03.32 and U160 SCSI EFI Boot Services Driver 01.04.01.00

Check if the firmware is up to date:

MP:CM> sysrev

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=88837&swItem=ux-58874-1&prodNameId=346361&swEnvOID=54&swLang=13&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=0

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Peter te Focht
Frequent Advisor

Hello Torsten,

That what you wrote is probably exactly the case.
De FW-levels in our systems:
MP: E.03.15
BMC:03.48
EFI:02.14
Sytem: 02.18

So I will try to upgrade the GSP's firmware.
Thank you very much for this advise.
Best regards, Jan Poortman