1748170 Members
4030 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Management Processor

Jay Cantwell
Regular Advisor

Management Processor

Here is a scenario I am wondering if anyone has encountered before. I had a memory problem on an IA64 server last night. HP ITRC had me use the hyperterminal utility to dump the SL log from the Management Processor. After dumping the log, the hyperterminal session terminated abnormally. Now there are things that I can not do in MP, such as using SL, logging onto the CO, vfp does not display all the attributes. How do I rectify this.

We discovered that I have a memory extender that needs to be replaced. When I turn off the power to the server, will this resolve this problem or will the problem still exist when I come back up? If it still exists, how do I clear it so I can use the MP tools again....

thanks....Jay
5 REPLIES 5
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

That's a question for HP support...when HP replaces the extender - make sure you test the MP port - and let them know about it prior to coming on site (you may need the core I/O replaced as well)...

Rgds...Geoff
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
Jay Cantwell
Regular Advisor

thanks for the quick reply Geoff...what is the core I/O please ??
Sivakumar TS
Honored Contributor

Dear Jay,

The Core I/O is the Card which has the MP as well as LAN ( and SCSI also in some servers).

The MP supposed to be independent of the server, and any problem with the server should not affect the MP. ( It is like a small computer inside the server ! )

Since you face problem in MP itself, the suspect would be the MP card itself.

With Regards,

Siva.
Nothing is Impossible !
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi Jay,

There should be a small reset button somewhere on the MP card if a cell based server or near the console ports if not. Push & hold it for 10 - 20 seconds to reset the MP back to factory defaults & all functionality should return. If not log another HW call on the MP.

HTH,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Alan_152
Honored Contributor

Try resetting the MP, either by the reset button, removing the battery, or consoling in through the serial or kvm interfaces/accessing cm and resetting everything back to defaults.