Integrity Servers
1753549 Members
5464 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Moving discset from LSI1068 to P800 controller without reinstallation of system software

SOLVED
Go to solution
Robert Zels
Occasional Advisor

Moving discset from LSI1068 to P800 controller without reinstallation of system software

We have a new RX3600 server with 8 SAS disc. The fully configured OS is installed on a volume which resides on a mirrored disc in bay 7 and 8 of the system. Now i want to use the rest of the discs to create a new RAID5 array. When i try to do this i figured out that all 8 drives where connected to the LSI1068 controller with 8 SAS ports. Problem is that this controller doesent support more than RAID level 1. Now im searching for a solution to connect all 8 drives to the also installed P800 controller without reinstalling all software again.
It is no problem to connect all drives to the P800 and create an Mirror of drives in bay 7 and 8 and creating an additional array with RAID5 on the drives 1 to 6.

But i have to configure the system that it will boot from this P800 Mirror set. Has someone a HowTo to do such a move?
Is it possible to do it in such a way?
Is it necessary to do changes in the original configuration first befor moving the discs?

Regards

Robert
4 REPLIES 4
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Moving discset from LSI1068 to P800 controller without reinstallation of system software

Is the P800 supported for internal disks?

You need to check this first.
(at the moment I can't)

You may consider to connect only 4 disk to the new controller first, the other to the old and use mirrordisk/ux to "copy" the data - or - take an ignite backup and restore.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Re: Moving discset from LSI1068 to P800 controller without reinstallation of system software

Look at this:

http://docs.hp.com/en/SM_SA3/SA_Support_Matrix.htm

for P800 and rx3600/6600/2660:

17 - Internal disks are not supported on HP-UX

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Robert Zels
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for the link.

It seems that the driver for HP-UX does
only support external discs on this controller at this time. Will there be a solution within the next months?

We do not plan to switch over to W2K8 only
to use all resources of our hardware.

It seems that Inneo does not know about this limitation because they offered this P800 together with 6 discs as an extension to
the standard system.

Regards

Robert
Robert Zels
Occasional Advisor

Hello Torsten,

now, we have the system running with the P800. We got info from Inneo how to do the move. Now we have the system configured with two discs as a mirror and five discs as RAID5 with the last disc as hot spare. All drives are internal connected.

We have also done a full clean installation from OS 11.31 DVD because we changed our software installation. System running stable and with optimum performance.

I dont know why the support matrix excludes internal connected drives in the combination P800/HPUX. Maybe there is a problem when doing a hot replacement of one disc but found no additional info about that.

Regards

Robert