6672 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Multiboot - NVRAM boot error

Bruno_55
Occasional Advisor

Multiboot - NVRAM boot error

Hi

I have 2 rx2620 servers, each to be installed with 4x Windows ia64 Enterprise.

Now, the first server is ok, everything is running after some initial problems (my faults).
On the second I can install 1 Windows without problems, but when I install a second OS, the server will not boot to the newly added boot entry, giving following msg:
"Please check your firmware settings. You may need to restore your
NVRAM settings from a backup."

Now, obviosly I don't have a backup ;). I tried deleting the boot entries from the EFI and clearing the HD by letting Smart start create the partitions again.
I tried the nvrboot utility, but can't find how to fix it.
Is there any way to completely reset the configuration (nvram,...) so that I can start all over?
8 REPLIES 8
Bruno_55
Occasional Advisor

Re: Multiboot - NVRAM boot error

I forgot to mention: when using the nvrboot utility and I try to edit the path of an entry, I get the message that the change is not possible.... but I can change the Name.
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Hi,
I guess the second instance of the installation doesn't find the boot file which may be in the path like EFI\Microsoft\Winnt50\boot0002 . It could be possible to create a new boot file using
nvrboot utility.

Now withthis , even if you try to add a new option , you would see the same message.
The problem you are facing because boot options are not erased from the NVRAM.
You can user nvrboot utility to erase the boot option from which will earse the EFI boot content from NVRAM.
I guess it won't allow to change the path if there is no corresponding boot option in EFI Boot Manager ( which I guess you have deleted )

So if you want to start over , just erase the boot option ( for windows 2003 Enterprise ) from NVRAM using
nvrboot utility and do a fresh start using Smart Setup CD.

Refer these docs

http://www1.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/docDisplay.do?docLocale=en_US&docId=200000081505396

http://docs.hp.com/en/5990-8287/5990-8287.pdf

Bruno_55
Occasional Advisor

Hi and Thanks!

I will try that, last time I used the EFI/bios to delete the entries.
I already (partly) read the manuals ;)
Bruno_55
Occasional Advisor

I tried the steps recommended in the knowledge base, but it won't work. I also deleted all windwos related entries, recreated the array... doesn't work.
First installation is flawless, but the second cannot boot.

I just called support, hope that there is something i did wrong...
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

I guess you are getting the same message
"Please check your firmware settings. You may need to restore your
NVRAM settings from a backup."

even after deleting from NVRAM , then the cause could be boot file creation.
I guess the second installation is not creating the boot file ( boot002 )
You can try to create the file manually as per the doc and see if you could boot second OS.

Which version of Smart Setup CD you are using?

Bruno_55
Occasional Advisor

No, the files are created just fine, everything looks as it should according to the manuals.

Version is 3.30

Talked to support, told me to do what I already tried... doesn't help.

Anyway I'm now always getting a BSOD in the windows setup... so, maybe there is a hardware issue, I'll see what support says about this problem.
KVK
Valued Contributor

i suspect might be hard disk issue ... Why don't we try to remove one disk from first server and insert it in this server to confirm ?
Bruno_55
Occasional Advisor

Ok, the Problem is solved. There was a Hardware problem with the server.

One thing I would also recommend if someone else has this problem is remove the "bios" battery to reset everything.