5146 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: New to Itanuim - Please HELP ME!!!!

Chris Butler_3
Occasional Advisor

New to Itanuim - Please HELP ME!!!!

Hi all,
I am new to Itanium servers and have just got my hands on one on the basis that we might replace current servers with them. I am trying to put an OS on the server - Windows 2003 64-bit. As I have no video card I am connecting to it through the serial cable and a HyperTerminal session. My first question is "Is there no Smartstart?" Assuming there is not, I have booted from the 2003 CD and selected the option for setup without a VGA connection. After selecting the admin password the machine goes through what looks like the partition selection screen then changes to an error without any keyboard strokes from me. The error is "Currently there is no MSR (Microsoft Reserved Partition) on your system drive. Obviously I need to create one. Can anyone tell me how??? I have taken a look on MS Technet, there is an option to use diskpart.exe but how can I with no O/S?? Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

Chris.
5 REPLIES 5
Marco Hogeveen_1
Trusted Contributor

Chris,

To make life easier for you:
Please download the Smart Setup CD from HP:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?locale=en_USтМй=English&pnameOID=88839&prodSeriesId=447335&prodTypeId=15351&basePartNum=COL5334&locBasepartNum=is-18189-7&os=Microsoft+Windows+Server+2003+64-Bit&tech=Software++CD-ROM

boot from it and install windows.

This should do it, it also gives you the latest drivers, etc.

Marco
Chris Butler_3
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the smartstart, I burnt it and booted from it. I now get an error message stating "The HP Setup & Configuration Utility does not support the current platform" ?????

Any ideas???
Marco Hogeveen_1
Trusted Contributor

Chris,

Which type of server do you have??
Marco
Chris Butler_3
Occasional Advisor

Whoops, Sorry forgot to state that!!! I have 1 rx1600!
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

Hi Chris,

the RX1600 does not support Windows offically, hence the SmartSetup CD gives that error when you try to use it to prepare the system, see here at the bottom of the page for the supported OS's on the RX1600:

http://www.hp.com/products1/servers/integrity/entry_level/index.html

A newer model of the 1U server like RX1620 does include support for the Windows OS.

Although it would work, the provided tools (i.e. SmartSetup CD) and management features (i.e. inisght agents) for Windows are not available from HP.

HTH

Kris