Integrity Servers
1748223 Members
4713 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

OS Installable Firmware Update for rx7620, rx8620, etc - not true?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

OS Installable Firmware Update for rx7620, rx8620, etc - not true?

I see that there have been recent discussions on updating the firmware on these systems. I have found the following reference to an OS patch that will update the firmware on the servers.

http://docs.hp.com/en/A7026-96031/ch05s08.html

However, the patch number they give in the example is for an L3000 server. I have searched for an OS firmware patch and have not found anything. Since the above reference is in all four of the rx76/86 class of servers, there must be some truth to it. Can anyone clarify the instructions and provide a correct firmware patch number?

I actually would doubt that such a patch would be all encompassing as backplane firmware images require an actual removal of AC from the server. However, I could see it being able to update all of the PDC/SFW components within the partition and hope this to be true.

Thanks and regards,
Bob
----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!
5 REPLIES 5
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: OS Installable Firmware Update for rx7620, rx8620, etc - not true?

For rx7620/rx8620, there is no OS installable firmware available at HP BSC site. Only MP initiated( MP>CM>OSP and MP>CM>FW)option is available.

However for rx7640/rx8640, there is OSIFM tool for respective OSs is available with which firmware upgrade( complex-wide) could be initiated from within OS environment besides other options such as MP initialted and HP OSFM.

Refer this link
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=1844072&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=1844071&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=7
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi,

for the systems up to rx_620 you need to work from the MP and get the firmware files via ftp to the box.
Beginning with the rx7640/rx8640 you can download a single CDROM, boot from it and install the firmware. Of course the traditional MP initiated procedure works too.
A third method is to install the firmware via swinstall as a depot. After installing the depot the server will reboot to EFI to install the firmware. As mentioned, this applies to the rx7/8640.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

So, this firmware update feature only applies to the sx2000 chipset servers? Well, I certainly welcome the enhancement, but HP needs to do a better job in their manuals. If the option is not for the rx7620/8620 servers then please do not put thhis info in their respective manuals!

Thank you folks for the clarification.

Regards,
Bob
----------------
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

OSIFM tool has been in use for a while for firmware upgrades. You will find that for few integrity and 9000 servers there are HPUX patches ( PHSSxxxx ) in which the OSIFM tool is used for firmware upgrade.
However, this tool is not made availabe always to all servers. Hence you won't find PHSSxxxx patches for them. In that case, other options/methods have been given.

Refer this document.
http://www1.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/docDisplay.do?docLocale=en_US&docId=200000083872913

Yes, I do have same opinion as you have. HP should do better job of updating relavent and latest information in their documents as well as ensure the same information is available on ITRC and BSC websites.
Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

Thanks again for the help.
----------------