1753844 Members
7823 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: P410i RAID migration

DPW
Visitor

P410i RAID migration

I have an  BL870i2 server with P410i controller having 2  HDDs. We have installed OS on one of this disks and relesed the server without configuring any RAID. Now we need mirroring on this and how can we configure it without damaging the DATA on the first disk. The second disk is empty and unused. I am attaching sautil output herewith

2 REPLIES 2
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

This is a bad situation.

You can mirror the disks using LVM, but this makes it complicate to replace a failed disk (it works well, but it needs a long list of commands). You cannot switch the controller from HBA mode to RAID mode without loosing your data - unfortunately. Consider this:

1) take ignite backup; switch to RAID mode and restore the backup.

2) you have 2 smartarray controllers inside the server. Use LVM to mirror the OS to the partner blade. Switch the controller of the master blade to RAID mode, sync the mirror. Once done, remove the mirror from the partner blade. You need an additional HDD for this.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
DPW
Visitor

We were considering the ignite approach. Just wanted to know if there is any short cuts. The 2nd option seems ok. Will try it. Thanks..!!!