New Discussion юеВ

Re: PCI Slots on rx4640

SOLVED
Go to solution
KPS
Super Advisor

PCI Slots on rx4640

Hi,

We're getting an rx4640 in the next day or two and I'm trying to figure out if I can hook up a SCSI PCI Adapter to an older Tape Library through a HVD SCSI Adapter Card? HP told me to check with Adaptec to see if they have a card that will help me with this. I just talked to them and they do have a card, but it only works for PCI and not PCI-X.

My question is what type of PCI Slots are on the rx4640? Are they PCI-X. (I'm guessing they are since this is a newer system)

Thanks,
KPS
8 REPLIES 8
Andrzej Kowalik
Honored Contributor

Two 133-MHz, 64-bit slots on dedicated PCI-X buses
Four 66-MHz, 64-bit slots distributed on 2 PCI-X buses; 2 slots per bus

regards,
Andrzej
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

KPS,

pls check the supported cards on hp.com (i.e. : http://www.hp.com/products1/servers/integrity/entry_level/rx4640/supplies.html )

Most cards are LVD,don't think their is a HVD SCSI card in the tested/supported list of cards for RX4640)

HTH

Kris
mits
Respected Contributor

See quick spec of RX4640 below.
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11847_div/11847_div.HTML

I/O Architecture sction describes the detail of the slot specification and configuration.

All slots should be capable to run with PCI IO card. But this does not mean all PCI cards will be supported. See Supported I/O Cards section for detail.
timmy b.
Honored Contributor

Ken,
Just FYI,

When you look at the back of the server, you will find that the available slots are labeled 3-8. Slots 3&4 share a bus, while 5 & 6 share another. Slot 7 & 8 each are on their own bus.

When you load your slots, try to NOT load the heavy I/O cards paired up into the shared slots. Heaviest loads should go into 7 or 8.

Good Luck - Tim
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand Binary, and those who don't.
rick jones
Honored Contributor

In general, unofficial, terms, a 'PCI' card will "work" in a 'PCI-X' slot. I think that one of the "translations" of the term 'PCI-X' is supposed to be "PCI-eXtended" It may though bring the entire PCI-X bus down to the speed supported by the PCI card.

[I believe that it is PCI _Express_ that cannot take a PCI/PCI-X card]

If indeed there are no longer any "supported" HVD SCSI cards on the HP CPL, you might want to keep the following HPSpeak decoder in mind:

Supported, known to work -> warm fuzzies all around
Supported, not known to not work -> an HPite may be in trouble
Supported, known to not work -> an HPite is in trouble
Unsupported, known to work -> lucky today, unlucky tomorrow?
Unsupported, not known to not work -> there but for the grace of Turing
Unsupported, known to not work -> no, it was not deliberate ;-)

Also, you didn't say which OS you were planning on running. Keep in mind that the I/O drivers supplied with HP-UX will only claim I/O cards with HP subvendor ID's. The Linux (and I suspect but cannot confirm Windows) drivers don't care. I suspect that OpenVMS drivers would look for HP subvendor ID's but cannot confirm that.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

Ken,

What OS will you be running? HP has different cards supported for HP-UX than Windows and LINUX. The A5159B FWD(HVD)dual SCSI adapter that is supported on the pa-risc version, is not supported on the rx4640 with any OS that I see.
Mom 6
KPS
Super Advisor

We'll be running HP-UX 11.23
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor
Solution

If you have one of the A5159B cards, you might just try it. Do not try anything other than FWD a.k.a. HVD. LVD will not work with your tape if it is HVD. There are companies that offer HVD to LVD converter boxes. Go to google and enter HVD LVD converter to find them. I have also seen FC to HVD converters. HP used to sell one of those.
Mom 6