8566 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Partitions on rx2600 server

Rene Souren Perez
Occasional Contributor

Partitions on rx2600 server

Hello!
I have installed Windows Server on a rx2600 server and have some questions about the partitions:
On Disk 0 (73GB) I have got 3 parititons:
100MB EFI System Configuration, 400MB EISA Configuration, 67GB Boot(Win2003).
On Disk 1 (36GB) I have got 3 partitions again:
500MB EFI System Configuration, 33,04 Unknown, 400MB Unknown

My question is:
Which of these paritions CAN i delete? And which should NEVER be deleted?
The problem is, that my Windows partition has the drive letter F:, which I'd like to change to C:, but for that I have to know which partitions can be deleted.

Thank in advance,
souren
3 REPLIES 3
Sung Oh
Respected Contributor

Hi Souren,

you need to have EFI partition for IPF system to boot an OS and looks like your DISK0 has correct partitions. if you are not planing to use DISK1 contents, you can delete all DISK1 partitions and make one partition with entire disk space.

From this configuration
DISK0
partition1: 100MB, EFI, Okay
partition2: 400MB, EISA, Okay
partition3: 67GB, NTFS, Okay (Assume C:)
DISK1
partition1: 500MB, EFI, No need
partition2: unknown, No need
partition3: unknown, No need

to
DISK0
partition1: 100MB, EFI, Okay
partition2: 400MB, EISA, Okay
partition3: 67GB, NTFS, Okay (Assume C:)
DISK1
partition1: 36GB, NTFS, Okay (assume F:)

Anyway, you need to boot your system to check the partition size under disk management and figure out which partition is need it or not.

Regards,
Sung
Mridul Shrivastava
Honored Contributor

It's better not to delete any partition from disk0 as first one is EFI which is must,and the next partition is for running some offline diagnostics and third one is win Os itself.

As far as disk1 is concerned if it is not in use by any other OS (ie hpux etc), you can go ahead and delete all the partions of this disk.
Time has a wonderful way of weeding out the trivial
Alan_152
Honored Contributor

Sung Oh is mostly correct, except for the fact that he has to make an assumption about which EFI partition is "active". Delete the wrong one, and the system will become more difficult to boot properly (and you may lose some helper software like Smart Setup).

My suggestion would be to either leave both EFI partitions in place (at least until the OP provides some EFI boot menu information and or an fdisk -l display), or backup the OS, nuke everything, reset all the partitions the way you want it manually, and restore the backup.