7333 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

R3000 UPS - Short run time while on batteries

SOLVED
Go to solution
Frank Jordan Jr

R3000 UPS - Short run time while on batteries

We have a Compaq R3000 UPS that will only run for 4-5 minutes when it is on batteries.

This is regardless of the load- it can be a heavy load, or be supporting a single PC.

The batteries are new, and all of the 'battery power indicator' lights on the front panel remain on until the unit abruptly shuts off.

We've experimented with Lansafe 3 to control the shutdown process of the UPS, but this behavior is seen regardless of if there is a controlling machine connected to the UPS via the serial port or not.

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Frank
frank_jordanjr@hotmail.com
5 REPLIES 5
Frank Jordan Jr

Re: R3000 UPS - Short run time while on batteries

Also, if there is a more appropriate forum for this topic, please let me know.
IT Response
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Frank,
The R3000 UPS should easily keep up a single pc for over a half hour. See this doc ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/servers/proliantstorage/power-protection/backup_times.pdf

How old is your UPS? They came with a limited 3 year warranty. It sounds like you may have a problem with the UPS itself if the batteries were recently replaced by HP. I recommed that you place a call with the ITRC.
Frank Jordan Jr

Unfortunately it is older than 3 years, closer to 5 or 6.
Does the R3000 have firmware that can be upgraded/reset? Since all the battery lights remain on on the front of the unit until it shuts off, it makes me think that it is a software/firmware config issue.
Admitidly, this is the first time I've dealt with any UPS in depth, so this is a pure guess.

Frank Jordan Jr

Also, this is the legacy 3000 (#242705-001), not the newer 3000 XR.
Frank Jordan Jr

I figured it out.
There's a function called 'sleep mode', that when enabled, shuts off the UPS if the load is less than (depending on which documentation you read) 5% or 10%. This was enabled, causing me lots of grief.
I was testing it with a single server as a load, which apparently wasn't enough...