108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

RAID-5

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rommel T. Misa_2
Frequent Advisor

RAID-5

I have an rx2660 with 4 internal disks. I configured them as 2 RAID-1 arrays. I plan to add 1 additional disk and re-do one RAID-1 array into a RAID-5 array. Do I need to backup and restore my data? Is there another way to add the disk and not destroy my data? Thanks.

ROMMEL
5 REPLIES 5
Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor

Re: RAID-5

Hi Rommel,

No, you will have to destroy the Raid1 disk sets and create a new Raid5 set, the data will be gone.

Kind regards,
Robert-Jan
Rommel T. Misa_2
Frequent Advisor

I am using the 8-port SAS Smart Array for the internal disks. Can't the sautil command do the RAID migration?
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Do you have the P400 smart array controller?

Then try

Performing RAID Level Migration
To migrate an existing logical drive to a different RAID level, use the command:
saconfig /dev/cissX -M -R [-S size (KB)>]
For example:
# saconfig /dev/ciss5 -M 0 -R 5

Logical drive 0 migrated from ADG to 5
Migrating a logical drive to a different RAID level does not change its capacity

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Rommel T. Misa_2
Frequent Advisor

Thanks. If that does not expand my capacity, then how would HP-UX recognize the additional capacity added?

ROMMEL
TTr
Honored Contributor

It looks like you have the basic 8-port internal raid controller. It does not support raid5.

http://docs.hp.com/en/J6369-90071/J6369-90071.pdf

It only supports raid1 (that is mirrored pair) not raid10 and it only supports up to 2 raid1 raid groups. You can not make any changes from what you have now. You can add disks to the controller but you have to use the added disks within the OS, you can not create anymore raid sets.

Check also the rx2660 quickspecs "i/O Architecture" in http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12698_div/12698_div.HTML