108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: RX1600 & OpenVMS #2

SOLVED
Go to solution
Stephen C. Jackson
Regular Advisor

RX1600 & OpenVMS #2

I have an RX1600 with 512 MB, that I want to run OpenVMS on. I was able to install the latest firmware (for V8.2-1) and booted the OpenVMS DVD (V8.3-1H1) on both the VGA console and the serial console. When it comes up the time question I lose the keyboard - the system seems to hang.

The RX1600 has 2 unlabeled USB ports and I have tried all combinations. The keyboard works at the console prompts (can't test the mouse).

Any ideas?
Stephen C. Jackson
SCJ Consulting
4 REPLIES 4
BrianC
Valued Contributor
Solution

It sounds like you may have selected the VGA as your active console at the EFI menu. You need select a serial console as your active console with OpenVMS

I would recommend using the MP serial console if you have the Optional MP module. It requires the "M Cable" adapter to convert from the single DB25 connector to the three DB9 connections.

If you dont have the MP module then use Serial A console port.

VGA Is not supported as a console with VMS 8.2-1 but can be used for a graphics login once VMS boots.

At the EFI shell select the appropriate Serial console .

Here is an example

Serial A Acpi(PNP0501,0)/Uart(9600 N81)/VenMsg(Vt100+)

MP Serial Console Acpi(HWP0002,700)/Pci(1|1)/Uart(9600 N81)/VenMsg(Vt100+)

Regards Brian

Stephen C. Jackson
Regular Advisor

First of all, I am using OpenVMS V8.3-1H1, which supports the VGA console install - at least it does on my RX2620.

I tried the console install (PNP0501) and discovered something. I am running PC Reflections and rather than the keyboard on the RX1600 working, my PC keyboard was active for input. It started the install, but hung very fast.

When I try the MP console (HWP0002) - yes I have the 3 DB9 cable, I can get to the intial MP menu, but when I try the CO menu, the menu does not work - the up and down arrows do not work and the enter key does not work. All I can do is control B back to the MP menu. I have tried all Reflection emulations, but none of them work.

Any ideas?
Stephen C. Jackson
SCJ Consulting
BrianC
Valued Contributor

I have used Keaterm 420 emulator on a pc with ANSI BBS emulation that works best with the MP port console as the active console selected. VT100 emulation on Keateam works also but not as good. The basic setting for communication should be 9600 baud, 8 bits, no parity , and flow control should be set to software or Xon-Xoff.

I also used Hyperterm in a pinch.

Brian
Stephen C. Jackson
Regular Advisor

I think my problem is that it was a number of years ago, when OpenVMS went to Itanium, that I did my first and until about 3 months ago, only install on a RX2620. I had forgotten that the original install had to be from the MP port, which is finally what I did try and got to work on the RX1600 - a little slower on 1 CPU and 512MB.

The current RX2620 supports install on a VGA monitor just like the Alpha OpenVMS.
Stephen C. Jackson
SCJ Consulting