1748102 Members
5125 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: RX2600, MP Firmware, and OpenVMS

Stephen C. Jackson
Regular Advisor

RX2600, MP Firmware, and OpenVMS

I have found the various postings on this subject. I have a RX2600 with no operating system on it. My current MP version is E.02.10. I know I have to update to E.02.26 and then to E.02.29 and then higher versions. It looks like it needs the higher version MP to support OpenVMS. I have NO way to use this system to download the E.02.26 TAR image to update the MP. I do have the Managment Console and cable.
Am I hosed?
Stephen C. Jackson
SCJ Consulting
9 REPLIES 9
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Not sure what do you mean by NO way besides not having OS.

You can make use of
1. Firmware ISO image and CDROM
2. Firmware FTP image and Lan connection between MP Lan and a system running FTP server.
Stephen C. Jackson
Regular Advisor

No OS on the RX2600.

I have a windows machine I could FTP the image from, I have a network cable to the RX2600. If I knew how to connect to the Management Console Network port. What network address do I use?
Stephen C. Jackson
SCJ Consulting
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Configure MP Lan interfce using MP serial console. Use an un-used IP address from the same subnet as that of the windows server.

http://docs.hp.com/en/AB312-9010A/ch06s19.html
Stephen C. Jackson
Regular Advisor

I can't seem to communicate with my MC serial port. I have a RX2620 and I have no problem with that one. Can you reach the MC port with the system down, like the RX2620? Or, what else do I have to do?
Stephen C. Jackson
SCJ Consulting
mits
Respected Contributor

You say "My current MP version is E.02.10. ". Then say "I can't seem to communicate with my MC serial port." How did you check MP firmware version? If you actually cannot access MP serial port, you need to troubleshoot it first before thinking about the MP firmware update.
Stephen C. Jackson
Regular Advisor

The regular console serial port works when I push the start button.

I can't communicate to the Management Console serial port. My RX2620 alows me to communicate with the MC, using the 3 part cable, even when the system is not up. The RX2600 does have lights that blink when it is down, but not on the front, like the RX2620.
Stephen C. Jackson
SCJ Consulting
Stephen C. Jackson
Regular Advisor

A little further information - when I boot the OpenVMS V8.3-1H1 from the console port, it hangs with the message %SMP-I-CPUTRN, CPU #1 has joined the active set.
Stephen C. Jackson
SCJ Consulting
Stephen C. Jackson
Regular Advisor

I am now convinced that the MP hardware does not work, so I can't do the install or update the firmware.

I have not given up, but any more investigation will have to wait for a month.
Stephen C. Jackson
SCJ Consulting
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

stephen,

have you tried the old fashioned pull the power cables out - count to ten method and see whether you then get a response from the mp ?