Integrity Servers
1752701 Members
6229 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

RX2600: built in VGA as X screen on IA64/HP-UX 11.23 ?

Saskia Weihrich

RX2600: built in VGA as X screen on IA64/HP-UX 11.23 ?

Ola,

is it possible to use the built in VGA port for
X11 when running HP-UX 11iv2 (B.11.23) on an RX2600 ?
We do have a USB keyboard/mouse attached. Input/output to EFI works via kbd/mouse/VGA. HP-UX disables the VGA port during boot up and sets serial as the console port.
What am I missing here ?

Many thanks
Saskia Weihrich
4 REPLIES 4
Scot Bean
Honored Contributor

Re: RX2600: built in VGA as X screen on IA64/HP-UX 11.23 ?

The rear panel of the rx2600 can be a bit confusing because there are so many different ports for different things in a small space.

Notice that the "VGA" port is enclosed in a white-lined area called 'Maintenance Processor'. This indicates that all of these ports, including the VGA port, are for maintenance activity only.

So this is not an operational graphics adapter for X11. It is intended only as service console. If want to continue to use it as a console after boot time, configure it as such in the EFI menus.

Note that for Linux/Windows installs, a VGA port is required to boot up.
Cong Shen

I was able to use VGA for X11 when running Red Hat AS 2.1. But VGA will come up only after the boot process which will only be seen from serial console. Never tried HP-UX though.
Corey_21

I installed the HPUX 11.23 and I can't get the video on X11 to come up. It shows the bootup process okay but the screen goes blank after switching to init 4. I am trying to figure out why this is. I even bought a additional radeon 7000 card. I am really confused. Why aren't these servers user friendly?

Hello Saskia,

i can probably give you a hint:

Boot your server until the EFI-Shell and
"Boot Option Maintenance Processor" and "System Configuration Menu" appears.
Now you select "Boot Option Maintenance Processor" and go down to "Select Active Output Devices" (and Input and Error). Now deselect the entry "vt100+" and activate your vga (which is PCI).

Do this also at the Input- and Errorsettings and then reboot. Now your
HP-UX 11i (11.23) should automatically appear on your VGA-output.

Greetings from
Alexander Schnapper :-)