Integrity Servers
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RX3600 - Integrity virtual machine -installing w2k3 ent. ed. SP1 - stucked!!!

Sergej_5
Regular Advisor

RX3600 - Integrity virtual machine -installing w2k3 ent. ed. SP1 - stucked!!!

Hi!
I am doing the following installation from:
http://docs.hp.com/en/T2767-90024/ch05s02.html

installing from windows CD media.
After a while i get into SAC command prompt and cannot do nothing ...
if i make:

1) SAC> cmd
Error: Unable to launch a Command Prompt. The service responsible for launching
Command Prompt channels has not yet registered. This may be because the
service is not yet started, is disabled by the administrator, is
malfunctioning or is unresponsive.

2) SAC> i
Net: 2, Ip=0.0.0.0 Subnet=0.0.0.0 Gateway=0.0.0.0

i change this into firm specific hardware settings but nothing happens ..just it says:

SAC>i 2 10.49.5.190 255.255.0.0 10.49.250.250
SAC successfully set the IP Address, subnet mask, and gateway.

What now ... how can i get into windows OS?
I tried to ping 10.49.5.190 but nothing happens ...

When i restart SAC my network settings comes to default:

SAC>i
Net: 2, Ip=0.0.0.0 Subnet=0.0.0.0 Gateway=0.0.0.0

Please help me to get into WIndows OS ...

Brgds,
Sergej

15 REPLIES 15
Sergej_5
Regular Advisor

Re: RX3600 - Integrity virtual machine -installing w2k3 ent. ed. SP1 - stucked!!!

3) SAC>id
Computer Name: YOUR-B45J1WGD4G
Computer GUID: 2451f856-9005-11db-a6fa-0017a451514a
Processor Architecture: IA64
Version Number: 5.2
Build Number: 3790
Product: Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition
Applied Service Pack: 1.0
Time since last reboot: 0:29:41
Ian Vaughan
Honored Contributor

Re: RX3600 - Integrity virtual machine -installing w2k3 ent. ed. SP1 - stucked!!!

Howdy,
Just type in cmd at the prompt and go and have a coffee - leave it for about 30 minutes or so and then take a look.

You should have "CMD successfully registered as a service" or such like and then try cmd again.

I have just got it working in an IVM on a rx2600 W2K3 ia64.
HTH

Ian
Hope that helps - please click "Thumbs up" for Kudos if it does
## ---------------------------------------------------------------------------##
Which is the only cheese that is made backwards?
Edam!
Tweets: @2techie4me
Sergej_5
Regular Advisor

HI!
But instntly when write CMD i get the above error ... i dont have to go to coffee :)

Are you installing from HP reinstall media (OPK) or using Windows (Microsoft) Media?

HTH

Duncan

HTH

Duncan
Sergej_5
Regular Advisor

As i noted in first post ... i am installing from Windows Media CD obtained from MSDN Subscription

So have you used ESC-TAB to move to the channel showing the EULA, and entered the product ID?

HTH

Duncan

HTH

Duncan
Sergej_5
Regular Advisor

I have used ESC-TAB but cannot see nothing that got to do with EULA ...

after reboot i get only SAC channel ... nothing more ...

like i described above in previous post ...

So when you type:

ch

You don't see any other available channels?

Duncan

HTH

Duncan
Sergej_5
Regular Advisor

no i dont see nothing accept:
SAC>ch
Channel List

(Use "ch -?" for information on using channels)

# Status Channel Name
0 (AV) SAC
SAC>
Ian Vaughan
Honored Contributor

Howdy,
OK don't type cmd just do the wait bit.

Leave it for up to 30 mins and it will eventually bind the cmd to channel 1 and you can type cmd, ch -si 1 and you will have a proper cmd prompt. Then you can follow the rest of the instructions in the IVM install guide.

I am just downloading SP1 at the moment - my installation is working fine.

Cheers
Ian
## ---------------------------------------------------------------------------##
Edam!

Does the SAC log give any indication of what the problem might be? (just type d and return)

Duncan

HTH

Duncan
Sergej_5
Regular Advisor

i give up ... :((

tried to install windows 2003 ent. ed. sp1 on physical machine ...still no luck ...

I got rx3600 and i tried with smart CD ...i cannot make windows to find SCSI fibre channel ...and always get "cannot find disks"

In EFI shell i cannot customize my array ... it's just gray lines and nothing to do ...
i ftp-ed driver on efi and make:
load ipfsas.efi it succedded but still cannot customize array ...

I even tried with express setup (from smart CD) and again ...windows cannot find any disk to begin the installation process :((
I got EFI firmware up to date 12.10.2006 ...

ANy ideas? ... i am so desperate :(
Ian Vaughan
Honored Contributor

Howdy,
I am now confused..

1) Are you installing into an Integrity VM under HP-UX or are you installing direct onto the hardware? I would say that you stand more chance in a VM than on the tin as you don't have to worry about SAS drivers etc.

2) If you have got as far as the SAC it shouldn't matter which media you have booted from because you could have only got this far if setupldr has worked (or at least has started to work).

3) Setupldr can take a VERY long time to sort itself out in the background and create and run the service that gives you a cmd prompt on channel 1. That was why I suggested the coffe break. My install uses an EVA as it backing data store so should be quick but still took 15 or so minutes.

How long have you left it at this stage to sort itself out before restarting/rebooting?

The only difference is that I booted off the HP re-install DVD rather than the MS media. Have you chaecked that your media is OK?

Sorry I can't be of any more help.

HTH
Ian
Edam!

Sergej,

If this box was originally configured to run HP-UX, you'll never be able to install Windows on the raw hardware unless you replace the IO controller. Have a look at the quickspecs here:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12595_div/12595_div.HTML#Configuration

Particularly the section titled I/O Architecture.

The rx3660 has a different IO controller for HPUX and for Windows. WIndows uses a SAS Based SmartArray RAID card, HPUX uses a SAS HBA. They're not the same and there aren't windows drivers for the SAS HBA.

You should persevere with the Integrity Virtual Machine option. Follow Ian's advice on waiting for the installer to complete before attempting to run a cmd prompt.

HTH

Duncan

HTH

Duncan
Sergej_5
Regular Advisor

Duncan, thanks a lot ! For the explanation!
I figured it out that i have to change fibre channel card in order to install W2k3 ent.ed sp1 on phisyical machine thanks to Duncan!

I will try once more to install it on integrity virtual machines as Ian suggested!

Thanks for quick reply!

I am on vacation right now so i'll try it after New Year!

Best wishes for Christmas and happy New Year!

Sergej