4392 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: RX3600 - Power Supply Connection issue

JorgeUX
Visitor

RX3600 - Power Supply Connection issue

Hi all.

I have a problem, I'm trying to install an Integrity RX3600 server in a rack that we already are using with another equipments, (one of them is a RX9800 Solution), the rack is a 220V and the cables that come out of the rack's PDB is for 10 amp. As far as I know the connection for rx3600 comes with a 15amp cable, so we can't use this and connect them directly to the rack's PDB, what should be the right way to energize the server?

Thanks for your help.

4 REPLIES 4
Stefan Stechemesser
Honored Contributor

Hello,

acc. to the rx3600 site preparation guide http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01885161/c01885161.pdf

the maximum input current of the rx3600 is 7 A at 200-240 V. While typical load is only ~ 700 W you have to plan your AC input so that a single power supply may consume these 7 A (in worst case  and if one power supply fails).

If really already other servers are in the same Rack, you may have not enough power to safely run the whole rack with only 10 A, so separate power lines to the rx3600 power supplies would be definitely the better coice instead of using the general Rack PDB.

Best regards

Stefan

fhsjvl
Frequent Advisor

I suppose your "15amp cable" is a C19/C20 (16A) cable? It is correct that this cable cannot be connected to a Power Distribution Unit with C13/C14 (10A) sockets. This is obvious for security reasons.

It looks like you will need an other PDU, style "HP 16A High Voltage Modular PDU", part number 252663-B24. Your C19/C20 cable can be connected directly to this PDU.

Maybe your system comes also with a P/S cable having a C19/C20 at the side of the system and a common wall socket plug on the other side (I do not know what this looks like in your country). This cable is provided for those who do not put their systems in a rack, but e.g. on a table, so they can directly connect the P/S to the wall socket. AFAIK it is not allowed to use this cable inside a rack.

You could make a P/S cable yourself with a C19/C20 connection at the server side and a C13/C14 connection at the PDU side. This is not allowed but I know of someone who has done it. In his case it works without a problem, but it is not to be recommended.

S_Logan
HPE Pro

Hi,

Please refer the following info for rx3600 and proceed with recommended one:

Power requirements:

Maximum input current: 14 A @ 100 VAC

Line frequency: 50–60 Hz

Maximum AC power input: 1,095 W

Note: Power figures are per system, not per input line (power supply), and include losses in the power supplies.

Power supply:

Maximum output: 1,200 W per supply

Number of supplies: 1 or 2 (1+1 configuration: one required, one optional)

Power inlet type: IEC320-C20

HTH

Surendar

How to assign KUDOS! Click the STAR!

HP Guided Troubleshooting - www.hp.com/support/hpgt

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
S_Logan
HPE Pro

Hi,

For more information

About the HP Integrity server family, visit: www.hp.com/go/integrityserverfamilyguide

About the HP Integrity rx3600 Server, visit: www.hp.com/go/integrity or www.hp.com/go/rx3600

HTH

Surendar

How to assign KUDOS! Click the STAR!

HP Guided Troubleshooting - www.hp.com/support/hpgt

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]