108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Recommend a KVM for Integrity servers

SOLVED
Go to solution
Paul Maglinger
Regular Advisor

Recommend a KVM for Integrity servers

We have been using a Raritan KVM in our server room, which contains mainly Windows servers. We have just added a mix of rx2620, rx2660, and rx6600 Integrity servers. The problem is that the keyboard and mouse will stop working without warning. The only way to get it going again is to unplug the USB and plug it back in. I'm curious to what others are using as a KVM solution (I know you're out there) that we may use as an alternative.

TIA

Paul
8 REPLIES 8
Armin Kunaschik
Esteemed Contributor

What OS is running on those rx boxes? Windows? HP-UX?
Did you try the web interface of the iLO/MP?
I'm not sure whether or not the iLO is able to display a Windows graphical screen. But it's definately worth looking at if you run UNIX or VMS.

My 2 cents,
Armin
And now for something completely different...
Stefan Stechemesser
Honored Contributor
Solution

problems like this often happen when using PS/2 to USB converters.

Known working KVMs are the HP console switches
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/rack-options/list.html#console

with the USB adapters.

I would strongly recomend to use a KVM that supports serial connections, too, because some features of Integrity servers are only available via the serial interface or network (the iLO2 Management Processor).

I hope this helps,

best regards

Stefan
Paul Maglinger
Regular Advisor

Apologies, I meant to put in that I was running HPUX 11.23 on all boxes.
Armin Kunaschik
Esteemed Contributor

If you have enough money to spent you may buy KVM switches for every box. Or you may buy console servers to get onto the serial console port of each host....

Or you use the internal iLO!
Configure the iLO with an IP adress and you can do the following thing:
- reach the system console (via telnet or ssh)
- reach the system console via web browser (java applet)
- power the system on and off from remote
- check the system log in case of any error
- do firmware upgrades from remote
- etc...

You get all that for free because you already paid for the iLO!

For a complete documentation see http://docs.hp.com/en/5991-6005/index.html

UNIX server don't really need a graphical GUI. If you like the iLO features, you can leave the graphics adapter out of the system next time you buy one.

My 2 cents,
Armin
Paul Maglinger
Regular Advisor

I never was a big fan of the CLI, having started out as a Windows SysAdmin and have inherited the UNIX systems. I REALLY like my GUIs, using CLI as a last resort.
Peter Zeiszler
Trusted Contributor

When using the IP on the ILO there is a web interface presented and I believe with a license you get a serial line connection to that ILO for CLI.

The WEB interface does alot of the reset options, checking logs, errors, etc.
Definitely look into using learning and document whatever you need using the CLI because there may be a time when the GUI (x-window, CDE, whatever) isn't available.
Armin Kunaschik
Esteemed Contributor

Compared to the Proliant iLO's there is no extra license for the serial line.
You NEED the serial console to be able to manage your UNIX box!
UNIX servers usually don't have a graphics adapter because it's not needed.
And, to get real, what are you doing after logging in to CDE? Starting a dtterm/xterm..
You get the same functionality by using an X-Server (like Exceed or Reflection) on you local Windows box. Or you connect via telnet, putty etc... you always get a kind of CLI.
I don't want to convert you to CLI, but you better get used to the iLO, because there are things you can't do with the GUI (and even not with the CLI) e.g. TOC a hanging system to get a crashdump to send to HP. Consider reading the iLO documentation and judge AFTER reading.

My 2 cents,
Armin
Paul Maglinger
Regular Advisor

I didn't say I wasn't going to use CLI, just that I prefer GUI. I've had to go in through the MP to straighten out problems in the past. To me, it's kinda like washing dishes. I'd prefer to let the dishwasher do it, but when it's broke I'll wash them by hand.