Integrity Servers
1753779 Members
7352 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Regarding information on Integrity Servers and Virtualization.

SOLVED
Go to solution
NarendraUttekar
Advisor

Regarding information on Integrity Servers and Virtualization.

Hi,

We are having total 7 PARISC servers out of that there are 5 servers of N-Class RP7400 with 8 CPU(550 MHz) and 32GB RAM respectively and other 2 servers are N-Class RP5470 with 4CPU(550 MHz) and 16GB RAM respectively. We are planning to replace those servers with Integrity servers.

I want to know whether it will better to go with similar number of servers while buying Integrity servers or it will be best to go for virtualization? And which Integrity servers are available for virtualization? And which virtualization software is available?

I have found some Integrity servers as below,

HP Integrity rx8640 Server

Number of Processors – 16

Microprocessor type Dual-core Intel® Itanium® processor: 1.6 GHz / 18 MB

If I am correct that means with HP Integrity rx8640 Server we will have total 16*2(Dual core) =32 Processors correct?

HP Integrity rx6600 Server

Number of Processors -4

Number of cores - (2-8)

If I am correct that means with HP Integrity rx6600 Server we will have total 4*8(cores) =32 Processors correct?

Blade Integrity server as below,

BL890c i2

Processor Cores - (4 or 2)

Number of Processors -8

If I am correct that means with HP Blade BL890c i2 Server we will have total 8*4(cores) =32 Processors correct?

And also I believe Integrity Blade servers will be cheaper than Integrity Rack mount servers correct? Or if you have any other integrity servers which can meet our need let me know.

And also I am familiar with virtualization i.e. Npar and Vpar but that on superdome servers whether it will be good to have virtualization on integrity servers in respect with hardware failure like one CPU or Memory?

Thanks,

Narendra

8 REPLIES 8
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Regarding information on Integrity Servers and Virtualization.

>HP Integrity rx8640 Server
>Number of Processors – 16
>If I am correct that means with HP Integrity rx8640 Server we will have total 16*2(Dual core) =32 Processors correct?

I think you are confusing processors with sockets.  You only have 16 cores.

>HP Integrity rx6600 Server
>Number of Processors -4 Number of cores - (2-8)
>If I am correct that means with HP Integrity rx6600 Server we will have total 4*8(cores) =32 Processors correct?

I think it means you have 4 cores.  (Not sure why the range, unless this is a choice you can make?)

>BL890c i2
>Processor Cores - (4 or 2) Number of Processors -8
>If I am correct that means with HP Blade BL890c i2 Server we will have total 8*4(cores) =32 Processors correct?

I think you only have 8.

Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

Hi Dennis - A mis-thought perhaps?  rx8640 can have four cell boards, each with 4 sockets = 16 sockets.  With dual core Montvale that makes 32 cores (or processors).

Neranda -

>If I am correct that means with HP Integrity rx6600 Server we will have total 4*8(cores) =32 Processors correct?

The rx6600 has four sockets.  With dual core Montvale that makes 16 cores (processors). I dont think there are quad-cores for the rx6600 servers.

For the Bl890c i2 you are correct in 8 sockets with quad core 'Tukwila' 9300 series processors = 32 cores.

>And also I believe Integrity Blade servers will be cheaper than Integrity Rack mount servers correct? Or if you have any other integrity servers which can meet our need let me know.

I cant quote prices, but the newest processors on the newest blades will be more expensive.  However, you tend to run cooler with less power and have more scalability by going with the blade enclosures.  You also have more technology options such as VIrtual Connect and Flex-10 (http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/blades/virtualconnect/index.html).

>And also I am familiar with virtualization i.e. Npar and Vpar but that on superdome servers whether it will be good to have virtualization on integrity servers in respect with hardware failure like one CPU or Memory?

As far as virtualization software, you would need either vPars or Integrity Virtual Machines.  IVM can be more granular in regards to how it uses resources.  http://h71028.www7.hp.com/enterprise/w1/en/os/hpux11i-partitioning-integrity-vm.html

I am sure HP Presales would love to hear from you!

-Bob

----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

For "easy" migration you should take a look at "HP9000 containers"!

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>For "easy" migration you should take a look at "HP9000 containers"!

Right:  http://www.hp.com/go/containers

NarendraUttekar
Advisor

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the reply but still I am confused regarding the actual processor power. I want to know for the HP Integrity rx6600 Server the configuration on the HP site is as below,

Processors supported (frequency/cache) - Dual-Core Intel® Itanium® processor 1.6 GHz/24 MB

Number of Processors - 1–4

Number of cores – 2-8

I want to know how may max processor this system will have i.e. physical processor and logical processor.

Dual core 1.6 GHz (2) * Max Processor (4) * Max cores (8) = 64 Processors or 32 Processors?

And what will be the actual total power of processors when be combine i.e. 64 or 32 processors of 1.6 GHz/24 MB?

Please let me know what exactly the number of cores means and also what is dual core / quad core means? I was thinking the actual processor power is (processor * cores)?

Thanks,

Narendra

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>the configuration on the HP site is as below

Is this what's already installed or are you looking at how you can purchase it?

>Number of Processors - 1–4

This means you can purchase a range of processor modules.  And the specs say, "Processor modules", which are sockets.

http://h20338.www2.hp.com/integrity/us/en/entry-class/rx6600-specifications.html

>I want to know the max processor this system will have i.e. physical processor and logical processor.
>Dual core 1.6 GHz (2) * Max Processor (4) * Max cores (8) = 64 Processors or 32 Processors?

No.  The formula is: Max cores (8) == 8, that's all the processors you have.

Or Dual core 1.6 GHz (2) * Max Processor Modules (4) == 8 cores

>Please let me know what exactly the number of cores means and also what is dual core / quad core means? I was thinking the actual processor power is (processor * cores)?

The number of cores is what's important, not any product.

Dual or quad just refer to how many cores per socket.  I don't see quad for rx6600.

NarendraUttekar
Advisor

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the reply…One last question as I want to be sure before I ask HP for the quote of Integrity Servers.

If I want to ask HP for server configuration regarding the processor…Then for e.g. if I want to have that server 8 CPU then it will be (dual core * 4 processor) that will give me 8 CPU correct? Is one core is equivalent to one physical CPU i.e. for e.g. if CPU power is 1.6 GHz/24 MB then the power will be (1.6 GHz/24 MB * 8).

And also when I will use the top command it will show me 8 physical CPU correct of power each 1.6 GHz/24 MB?

Thanks,

Narendra

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

>if I want to have that server 8 CPU then it will be (dual core * 4 processor) that will give me 8 CPU correct? Is one core is equivalent to one physical CPU i.e. for e.g. if CPU power is 1.6 GHz/24 MB then the power will be (1.6 GHz/24 MB * 8).

Yes to all.

>when I will use the top command it will show me 8 physical CPU correct of power each 1.6 GHz/24 MB?

Yes.